PDA

View Full Version : CA. Emission inspection or not

Sea-Air-Ahh-LBZ
04-18-2007, 17:59
I have a new 2007 GMC EXT Cab 2500HD 4X4 6.6 LBZ / Allison 6spd with 3500 miles on it. I get 16 - 18 mpg. I am OK with that but I am looking to replace the complete exhaust system. There are many to choose from and I don't exactly know what to buy. But 1st I need to know if the wonderfull state of CA. has emission control inspections for diesel trucks like mine? Then I can decide to go turbo back or cat back. Then I will try to decifer through all of exhaust systems available. SO QUESTION # 1 CA emission inspections or not ? QUESTION # 2 Whats the GOOD exhaust system ?

DmaxMaverick
04-18-2007, 22:12
No Diesel emmissions inspections in CA now, and no plans of it in the near future. It wouldn't be a bad idea to keep your old system around, just in case things change.

There are too many exhaust systems available to say which is best. Most are at least good. Some have fitment issues. I have a Kennedy system and it fits and works as advertised.

Craig M
04-19-2007, 12:57
As stated above, no current inspections required for diesel registered vehicles in California. There has been talk about some type of inspections for diesels, but no current laws passed. Lets hope the legislative branch keeps their normal slow and undecided status in this matter. Some add on system advertise 50 state legal; Some mention Californai legal; Some state off road only. Systems that eliminate the catalitic converter may give you the most gain, but stay away from roadside check points wtih them.

Ponderosa JT
04-19-2007, 14:41
Diesel Power Magazine did an article a few months back testing both a cat back and turbo back on the same truck. They did dyno tests on both. Their conclusion was the cat back did well and a turbo back was slightly better. I was surprised there was not more of a difference.

Jeff