PDA

View Full Version : Engine Oil Change-Frequency?

BARNMAR
04-18-2007, 23:50
Would appreciate feedback on how often to change engine oil/filter on 6.6 Duramax. Should I wait until the I get a 'Change Engine Oil ' message, or every 3000 miles, or every 6 months or some other measure? Thanks in advance!

Mark Rinker
04-19-2007, 07:29
You will get alot of opinions on this topic. Here are mine:

- Oils vary in quality, price and resistance to breakdown under heat.
- Operating conditions vary even more widely due to operating temperatures, dusty working conditions, and cycles of heating and cooling the oil (long trips vs. short trips).

We run Delvac synthetic oils in our two LB7s, with 10K change intervals. Here in Minnesota, we don't see scorching heat - and the conditions are highway miles with little or no dust and dirt.

If a truck tows a heavy load cross country and runs hot for a day in western Nebraska, the oil change interval is shortened. If we are running light and long in the winter and 10K becomes 11K, I don't sweat it.

Neither truck uses any between changes. No blowby at the oil filler neck and both trucks are approaching 200K miles. The '01 makes black oil instantly. The '02 oil stays brownish with less soot due to Kennedy's custom tow tune and reduced soot.

My .02 worth. Buy good oil its worth it.

rob from bc canada
04-19-2007, 09:13
My two bits would be this:

If you drive mostly long trips, meaning 1/2 hour or more, you can probably go 10k or longer between changes.

I would never exceed 6 months, though, particularly in colder areas. If you drive lots of short trips in cold weather, you get a lot of moisture and acids building up in the oil. Short trips with heavy loads in cold would be the worst combination.

At the relatively low cost of oil and filter changes compared to other stuff, I change mine way before the the DIC says to change. This last was still on regular oil, and at 7000 miles/6 months on the change (20k total), I still had about 40% engine oil life showing. I put in Delvac Synthetic this time, probably cost me extra $40 total $115 Can (plus 14% taxes and 12% to convert to US)

The big expense was the fuel filter for which they dinged me about $90 parts and $50 labour, and which I probably could have run for another 7000 or so.

However, people here recommend changing these frequently, so I think I may learn to do them myself in the future.

mark45678
04-20-2007, 20:13
the first 4 oil changes in my opinion should be done really early. 500~1000 miles, 1000~2000 miles, 2000~4000 miles and 4000~7000 mile then I do it every 7000 ~ 10000 miles depending on the time of year and if there is a good dry day to do it. New motors have lots of contaminates that cant be removed with just filters so change the oil . If you take short trips or its used in dusty conditions often change the oil around 5K max. Rear end and transfer case fluids should also be changed around 1000 miles then again around 5000 miles .

Dakster
04-21-2007, 16:23
the first 4 oil changes in my opinion should be done really early. 500~1000 miles, 1000~2000 miles, 2000~4000 miles and 4000~7000 mile then I do it every 7000 ~ 10000 miles depending on the time of year and if there is a good dry day to do it. New motors have lots of contaminates that cant be removed with just filters so change the oil . If you take short trips or its used in dusty conditions often change the oil around 5K max. Rear end and transfer case fluids should also be changed around 1000 miles then again around 5000 miles .

What do you recommend for fluids for the transfer case and rear diff.?

I did notice nice metal shavings in my 2005 Denali when I changed the rear diff in it at 15k miles. I haven't had the 2007 Suburban long enough to change it and the "General" is switching it for my new truck due to problems with it. I will definitely change those fluids out after 500-1000 miles based on past expereince. I put in Synthetic in the Denali, but not sure if synth is the best thing so soon.

D_R_C
04-23-2007, 14:19
Would appreciate feedback on how often to change engine oil/filter on 6.6 Duramax. Should I wait until the I get a 'Change Engine Oil ' message, or every 3000 miles, or every 6 months or some other measure? Thanks in advance!

I cannot for the life of me figure where people get 7,000-10,000 miles is a good # of miles to change oil,that makes me crindge everytime I here this.
And the message center does not know any better as well.
Unless you have a by-pass oil filter system,I would never go anymore than
4,000-5,000 miles between oil changes depending on driving conditions.
Anymore miles than this is very foolish,no matter what knowledge a person claims to have.
The end result will always tell the true story,sludge gummy build up
or fairly clean internaly.

SatchMax
04-24-2007, 06:47
I have run the lb7, lly, and now a lbz. I have used Penz 15-40 oil and changed every 5000 miles after the break in changes. I have put well over 100,000 miles on these three engines with no oil useage. I have pulled flatbed trailer to 5th wheels under extreme conditions in the Texas, NM, Col, and Ok with no problems of oil useage. I think a good oil and every 5000 is right for these motors.
SatchMax
Lubbock, Tx
07 Crewcab Dually, 4 inch exhaust with Edge.

Mark Rinker
04-24-2007, 08:08
...Anymore miles than this is very foolish,no matter what knowledge a person claims to have....

Foolishness is a subjective term. Some would consider a newcomer that makes strong statements contrary to the findings or practices of the group he or she has recently joined as foolish. However, you are free to do so, as TDP is a great place for free speech.

Consider this fact: I just rolled up your preferred oil change interval in the last week.

One reason I do 10K oil changes is so I only have the truck down once per 4-6 weeks for oil, tranny service, filters, tire rotations, etc. Otherwise I'd be changing oil every 2-3 weeks and then back in for other service intervals. Many oil analysis' done here will support the idea of extended oil change intervals on trucks that run high over the road miles.

How many miles do you have on? Towing or daily driver? Fill out your signature block and lets understand your perspective. The more facts, the better.

D_R_C
04-24-2007, 16:23
Foolishness is a subjective term. Some would consider a newcomer that makes strong statements contrary to the findings or practices of the group he or she has recently joined as foolish. However, you are free to do so, as TDP is a great place for free speech.

I might be a newcomer to the diesel page and owning a Durmax but I have been driving and servicing from F450-750 and big diesels(Cummins/Cat/International) for over 35 years in the construction industry.
I recently just sold a 03 F250 6.0, Ford states 5,000 miles heavy use 7500 miles light duty.
Even the Ford dealerships after the first year with the 6.0`s stated never go over 4,000 miles heavy 5,000 light no matter what.

Maybe you missed one member stating @ 108,000 miles on his duramax engine changing his oil when the message center tells him its time to change,which is about 2-3K more than he should wait,now has to replace his engine.

I have recently ordered a 07.5 new body style GMC Sierra SLT 4X4 3500 SRW Duramax LMM CC long bed.

I am sorry you did not like my "foolish" statement,but I do have a few years of servicing diesels back ground experance.

Not many run high over the road miles as you do,that is one reason to keep it @ 4-5K,for most that takes about 3-4 months.

So I`ll just mind my own business on this subject,and you keep up the good work on what makes you happy and secure.

Mark Rinker
04-24-2007, 19:10
Didn't mean to shut you down - thanks for the reply. Glad to hear of anyone that sold a Ford - in favor of a Duramax!

Welcome to The Diesel Page we will all benefit from your broad diesel experience. :)

MikeC
04-24-2007, 19:14
D R C,

You sound upset in your last post. All of us here appreciate knowledge based on experience. We are hard pressed to listen to someone new until we know their background, just as you probably found it hard to accept the opinions of a "new" mechanic until you knew his/her background. Please don't become offended but do please continue to share what you have learned from experience, that is what we want.

Mike

D_R_C
04-25-2007, 17:29
D R C,

You sound upset in your last post. All of us here appreciate knowledge based on experience. We are hard pressed to listen to someone new until we know their background, just as you probably found it hard to accept the opinions of a "new" mechanic until you knew his/her background. Please don't become offended but do please continue to share what you have learned from experience, that is what we want.

Mike

Not mad ! just getting even (Kidding)

I know being new here and just getting back to owning GM`s could raise the eye`s some.
But I have never heard anyone suggesting 10K between oil changes without suggesting a oil by-pass filtering system and syn oil.

And for me after the disappointing experance with Ford`s 6.0 and it taking 15 quarts of oil and a $20 oil filter changing every 4K and doing oil anal.
Which ended up being a big waist of $$$ with the loss of a beautiful truck and a piece of crap for a engine.

So for me the cost for oil on a Duramax & oil filters is pocket change.

Most on the diesel stop web. site poke fun at the Duramax and who builds them,but now I feel I can trust Duramax for a quality product for us consumers more than I can with Ford/Navastar.

Ford just plans on keeping the 6.4 for maybe 5-7 years,by then Ford will have started building their own Diesel engines.
At a Ford plant just for building Ford Diesel engines in "INDIA".
This was told to me from my formar Ford diesel tech and the service mgr.just 1 month after the 6.4 hit the market.
That did it for me,BY-BY Ford

After I returned home with my Ford truck from the 4th engine repair in 10 months I did a pre-trade and ordered a new body GMC. (Still waiting)
Back to daily driving my 79 Chevy 3/4 4X4 long bed that I ordered new and took delivery 4-24-79.
I`m 55 but feel like a kid again waiting for my new ride to arrive.