PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 block info

More Power
01-15-2004, 19:24
FYI:

Member Jeff Mainous is selling an "enhanced" 6.5 block (listed in the classified ad page - parts section). His ad includes a link to a photos page that shows the "enhancements" made to the new International Casting Corp 6.5 block.

It's worth a look to learn more about the changes made to the 6.5 block.

http://home.cinci.rr.com/mainous/EnhancedBlkID.htm

MP

Dvldog 8793
01-15-2004, 20:35
Howdy
I know this has been discussed countless times, here we go again. Aside from the few extra casting marks/bolt holes ect.. is there a "for sure" way of telling what block I have without tearing apart? Are the extra external casting features exclusive to the enhanced block? The reason i'm being so picky is that I have a '99 1ton and I've heard that not all '99s had the new block.
I'm dyen to know!!!!!
Thanks for the input and the pics!
L8r
Conley

Barry Nave
01-16-2004, 01:13
In July of 2000 GM replaced my 95 6.5 with a new long block. Any ideal what block may I have got.
Some new but old or an up dated long block. :confused:

computer monkey
01-17-2004, 22:40
In 1999 models GM made changes to the block for the 6.5 liter diesel engine as seen in the link above. Boss mounts for the new one truck, thicker mains, more material around the cylinders etc. I am sorry I do not remember the name of the company that casted the block for GM in this year and to DEC 2001 but if you notice in the center engine galley you will find the symbol that looks like a wagon wheel.

DEC 2001 I do belive was the "offical" date of the change over(there was some proto type produced before this date) where International started producing the block, noted by the International symbol in the center engine galley. As far as I can remember no change was made in the design of the block. International add "moly" to the cast iron increasing the strength even more. A green dot in the center, on the passenager side soft plug, second one from the front, increases the chance that the block came from AM General's General Engine Production plant.

This is the information that I have found while researching the histroy of this engine. As you can see from the info I list below my engine suffered from a cracked number eight cylinder.

BETA
01-18-2004, 03:29
My understanding is that the new moly-alloy has a 30%increase in tensile strength, which is a lot, and it's used for both heads and blocks.

Has anyone heard of any problems related to the latest AMG block?

Barry Nave
01-18-2004, 07:43
This would be IH? Can this be seen at the rear of the intake or is it under the intake where it can't be seen looking straight down? In the vally behind the intake I see what look's like IH and not a wagon wheel but I may be seeing some thing else. If IH did this in 2001 and Eng was replaced in July 2000 then this can't be true for my block.

computer monkey
01-18-2004, 19:35
http://www.n2outdrs.com/leecreek/block.jpg picture may not be available all of the time.

The international symbol is the three symbol in the middle of the block third one back.