dandl
08-27-2005, 04:36
what scan tool do i need to perform the time set
function on my 1996 DS4 6.5? been looking at the
actron cp9145, sure would appreciate some help in
choosing the correct tool

GMC Hauler
08-27-2005, 06:59
There are not many choices for this. You could go to the dealer and have them set it. This could cost between $100 and $200.

If you want to purchase your own tool, there is little option. You could

1. Purchase a Tech II. They are available on eBay. Prices are quite expensive (~$2500)

2. Autoenginutiy scan tool. This can perform the set time commands, and the TDC offset command. Cost about $300

3. The Carcode software may do this. Member rjwest would know for sure. I think the price is about half of the Autoenginutiy cost.

I personally use the Autoenginuty software and like it.

If i had the money, I'd buy the Tech II. It's the same tool the dealer uses.

rjwest
08-27-2005, 08:59
I am just in the process of downloading Carcode lates softeware.
There is supposed to be a cylinder balance test, Not sure what else, will report back soon...

dandl
08-27-2005, 16:59
TO GMC HAULER
are you using a pocket pc with your Auto Enginuitiy software? yes tech2 scan tool is
expensive. can you shed some light on how the
software works?

GMC Hauler
08-27-2005, 18:04
They do have the pocket PC version, but I would recommend using a laptop. You will have a larger screen to operate with.

Software is pretty simple. You connect to the vehicle, and then tell the vehicle what to do with drop down windows type commands. You do need to have some understanding of what you are doing. For example, you can shift individual transmission shift solenoids, and could cause damage if not done properly. Having the factory service manuals should be a must to do the more involved tests. For the average backyard mechanic that does all of his own maintenance, it can be real useful.