PDA

View Full Version : 3500HD Chev Short Bed

jasonv
04-22-2007, 22:23
Anyone know if the 3500 will come SRW with short box in 2008? Need a new truck to pull my 11,549lbs 5ver. Do not want long box, Ford or Dodge.

Colorado Kid
04-23-2007, 13:52
Anyone know if the 3500 will come SRW with short box in 2008? Need a new truck to pull my 11,549lbs 5ver. Do not want long box, Ford or Dodge.
My guess would be probably not.

My 2002 2500HD would have handled that load, assuming pin load up to about 2,000#. Because it was 2WD, manual trans I had 2,600# or so to work with between empty and GVWR. GVWR was the limit that it hit first, it would still have hundreds of pounds to spare on the axel and tire ratings when it crossed 9200#, and would be well under GCWR unless a concerted effort was made to load a gooseneck fairly light on the tounge.

My numbers gave my 2500HD more pin-load capacity than contemporary F-350 SRW Diesels because the F-350 and in particular the 7.3 outweighed the 2500HD and D-max.

Truth told, If I was doing it again today there's a very high likelyhood that I'd end up with brand D. A 2002 Ram 2500 Heavy Duty was not tempting in comparision with a 2002 Sierra 2500HD (That 24V 245 HP Cummins was LOUD!), but a 2007 3500 SRW Mega-cab (or even Quad Cab) with the 6.7 and a 6-speed manual would be a mighty fine 5th wheel puller.

Inspector
04-23-2007, 18:06
Whats wrong with a long box? Your garage to short? I have my second 3500 dually long bed (the only way they come) and I wouldn't have it any other way. The long bed for work and you don't have to worry about knocking the corners off the fiver in a tight turn when your out for fun. Just my two cents.
Denny

tanker
04-24-2007, 02:35
All 3500's have the 8 ft. bed, single or dual rear wheels. I cannot see a 6 ft. bed for anything. (just my opinion) 6 ft. beds only allow for a 26 gallon fuel tank, not enough room for 8 ft long materials, and with a hitch mounted you don't have much storage for tools, generator, aux fuel tank or whatever, and as Dennis mentioned above you need the bed length to swing a fiver without the possibility of hitting the cab. The long bed also increases the wheelbase, and that alone will give you more stability on the road.
I went with the long bed, which will allow me to upgrade to a fiver if we ever wanted to.
Wish you well in your decission.

Stlheadake
04-24-2007, 19:30
All 3500's have the 8 ft. bed, single or dual rear wheels. I cannot see a 6 ft. bed for anything. (just my opinion) 6 ft. beds only allow for a 26 gallon fuel tank, not enough room for 8 ft long materials, and with a hitch mounted you don't have much storage for tools, generator, aux fuel tank or whatever, and as Dennis mentioned above you need the bed length to swing a fiver without the possibility of hitting the cab. The long bed also increases the wheelbase, and that alone will give you more stability on the road.
I went with the long bed, which will allow me to upgrade to a fiver if we ever wanted to.
Wish you well in your decission.

Hey Tank I USED to say the same thing! That is until I tried putting a longbed crew cab in my driveway. It fit, but didn't leave much room for anything else. I went with a short box crew cab SPECIFICALLY to tow my 5ver.

I have the B&W hidden hitch which leaves the bed COMPLETLY clean when not towing. That hitch set up allows me to tow my 5ver or a goose neck vith only a minor change in the hitch. There's always the issue of hauling 8' items, I just let them hang the 18" inches or so over the gate. If the gate has to be closed, so be it, I let them hang over the top of the gate, just tie them down.

I would have loved a long bed, it just wasn't in the picture for me. One last thought about clearance, my 5ver has an extended pin box and that gives me the clearance to get 90 degrees with my truck. I can't go much beyond that, but I can get it.

At any rate, we all have the reasons for the trucks we own. One truck doesn't work for all of us.

jasonv
04-27-2007, 23:30
Thanks for the input. I really wish an insider from GM could let me know if there are any plans to increase GVRW on the 2500Hd in 2008 or any plans to have a short bed 3500 SRW.???? GM guys in the know where are you?????