PDA

View Full Version : GMC 2500 HD vs GMC 3500

Harleyfl
04-23-2007, 19:27
I have a question for the experienced 5th wheel haulers out there. I have a 2002 GMC 2500 HD Duramax/Allison and last year we purchased a used 5th wheel, about 9500 lbs empty. I have used this truck for towing bumper pull trailers with no problems. I had a 24' enclosed trailer, about 400-500 lbs tongue weight and about 4000 lbs total weight. This trailer towed just fine with no problems. Towing the 5th wheel I get a lot or surging or jerking back and forth when on rough interstate roads. My question is this normal for a 5th wheel? I have a Reese Signature hitch rated at 16K. This truck is a extended cab and a 6' bed, 2 wheel drive. This truck has more than enough power to handle the 5th wheel (stock, no chips or programmer). Would a 3500 dually crew cab long bed help with this?
Thanks

a5150nut
04-23-2007, 21:30
The bucking is something that goes with 5ers. That is why they produce the air ride hitch or the air ride pin box/hitch. Either will reduce the bounce. Also the way you load your trailer will make a difference in the way it rides.

If you don't get the info you are looking for here, try RV.net forum. There are a lot of dedicated RVers over there too.

Stlheadake
04-24-2007, 18:54
I have spent a lot of time over at RV.net and you should too. There are some pretty knowledgable folks there. Here's my $.02. I bought a 5th wheel last fall. Towed it empty from the dealer nearly 300 miles home (got a hell ofa deal on a new one!). Mostly because I was running with an empty trailer I had SOME bucking but not bad. I could still drink coffee while running 65mph down the interstate.

Once I got it loaded with all of our camping gear and stuff it pulled much better. The bucking was less, but was still there. Parked at the grocery store on the way out of town on last trip. On the way back to the rig, I noticed that it looked a little low in the front. The trailer was not sitting level with the truck.

I raised my hitch and WOW what a difference! The bucking is all but gone. The ride is nicer all the way round. Now with that said, there is a procedure for setting your hitch height. It has to do with how much hitch weight you are putting on the truck, and a few other complicated things.

When hitching a normal tag along trailer, you want that trailer sitting as level as possible. So I figger the same applies here. Those air ride pin boxes start around a grand I think and they go up from there.

Also, one last thought, how old are your shocks? Your shocks will have great impact on how the truck handles the load.

Just some thoughts. You SHOULD get rid of most of the bucking with proper hitching though.

Harleyfl
04-25-2007, 11:02
Thanks for the feedback, I did check on RV.net for some advise and seems the "bucking" is common. I didn't want to replace my truck just yet so it seems that is not the answer. My shocks are less than a year old and are heavy duty, I can't remember the name currently but they were about $80.00 each. My 5th wheel is almost level with hooked up but the front tires do seem to have more load on them. I'll try and raise the hitch next time. I inquired about an air ride setup. Most folks say this will cure about 60% of the "bucking", that would be great! My local dealer says it will be about 3 weeks before he will have one to fit my 5th wheel.

We bought this 5th wheel used from an individual (widow) who knew very little about towing it so I've had to figure it out as I go. I've found that dealers don't really want to help you if you didn't buy from them.

Thanks again!

DmaxMaverick
04-25-2007, 11:40
Here's an option.......

Trailering and bucking happens. We can only choose the route we take, not the conditions of the roadway on that route. CA highways are as bad as any with the "washboard" concrete, so I deal with it regularly.

I installed airbags (Airlift air springs). I thought of the air cushion hitches, but the cost, bulk and weight was over the top. The entire airbag system cost me less than $600 (installed by me). Air adjustment on-the-fly will just about completely eliminate the bucking. The system can be installed in a driveway with minimal wrenching skills and no special tools. It took about 2 hours for the airbags, and about 2 hours for the compressor/controller system the first time. I've installed the same system on a few other trucks like mine, and it can be done in less than 3 hours now, complete.

Smooth trailering can be had with a combination of things. Mostly adjustments. It's just a matter of finding the right combination.

TL Thordson
04-25-2007, 13:32
Why don't you check out (www.trailair.com) go to air pin at that link. I installed it myself a little heavy would try to get some strong help. Takes away at least 60% of the buck in your ride. You bet a bad road is still a bad road.

Happy Camping :)

Tom

TO THE MAX
07-27-2007, 11:49
One thing that learned when I picked up my fifth wheel. When you have your trailer hooked up and plugged in, retract the front gear until they are just clear of the ground, 1/4" or so. Jump in your truck and slide your brake controller lever all the over to apply the brakes fully then put your truck in drive and make sure the hitch is locked with the trailer. This way of it isn't, the trailer will only fall 1/4" or so and not as if the gear were fully retracted it will come down on your bed. This will save a major repair bill and something I was showed.

Stlheadake
07-30-2007, 12:06
To the Max, I'm not trying to be flip or give you a line, but if you have your trailer hitched and locked, you can look at the pin in the hitch and KNOW that it is locked. I leave my trailer about an inch lower than my hitch. That way I back under the trailer forcing the truck down. The jaws lock and I KNOW it is hitched.

When I plug everything in and retract the landing gear I give a quick look to make sure that the pin IS locked, but that's it. You just about can't mess it up that way. You can clearly see if the jaws are closed correctly. There's nothing wrong with the "pull test" in my opinion, but it just means more times in and out of the truck. The beauty of a 5ver is when it's hooked, IT'S HOOKED!

No flames here, and others may have a different method. I am just for fewer trips in and out of the truck. I did that enough with I hithced my old tag along travel trailer.