PDA

View Full Version : Type of oils for Duramax?

Bad Max
04-24-2007, 08:01
My LBZ 07 Duramax has not had its first oil change yet, it has 2856 miles right now. When should I change the oil?

What brands of oils is best? What I know of is Amsoil, Delvac, Royal Purple and Rotella.

I have been running it hard with the Bully Dog, AFE intake and exhaust and I think it may be time to change out the oil, do you not agree?

Bad Max

Mark Rinker
04-24-2007, 08:46
Yeah I'd change it -today. Then again in around 6K, then at your preferred interval. I use Delvac.

Question: Why would you run a new engine 'hard' with extra fueling when you know its in its break-in period?

WILLYD-MAX
04-24-2007, 15:52
I have used synthetic Rotella,Mobile, and Amsoil in my 05 and dad's 02 and so far I have had the best sucess with Amsoil's 15w40. I just got done putting almost 12,000 miles on an oil change on my 05 and the oil was down on the dipstick mark a little over half. That milage had approx. half trailer pulling miles.:D

D_R_C
04-29-2007, 16:50
I have used synthetic Rotella,Mobile, and Amsoil in my 05 and dad's 02 and so far I have had the best sucess with Amsoil's 15w40. I just got done putting almost 12,000 miles on an oil change on my 05 and the oil was down on the dipstick mark a little over half. That milage had approx. half trailer pulling miles.:D

I`m not sure how much oil the duramax holds some say 10 quarts,I`ll know for sure once I get mine.
The Ford 6.0 is 15 qts and Dodge 5.9 is 12 qts
But I would consider suggesting not letting the oil to go below the full mark that much, even if it only takes 16 oz. to bring the level back to the full mark.
How much oil is between the low/hi mark on the Duramax :confused:,I know Ford 6.0 diesel and Cummins is 2 quarts.
And 12 K even with a syn is way beyond miles between changes unless of course you have a oilfilter by-pass system.
You can go a few more miles with using a syn but not that far and being safe with out suggesting the aid of some kind of external oil filtering.

WILLYD-MAX
05-02-2007, 10:39
And 12 K even with a syn is way beyond miles between changes unless of course you have a oilfilter by-pass system.
You can go a few more miles with using a syn but not that far and being safe with out suggesting the aid of some kind of external oil filtering.

Not if you use Amsoil's oil and there EaO oil filter. The key here is Amsoil's EaO oil filters are absolute effeciency 98.7% rated @ 15microns whereas conventional synthetic media filters are at 80.23% effecient @ 15 microns and conventional paper oil filters are 39.39% effecient @ 15 microns .They are also guaranteed to go 15k in severe service.If you use the duramaxes oil life moniter it will allow you to go 10k and thats with regular oil. I would not want to do that with regular oil but thats me. I sent in a sample but have not got the results back yet, this has been over 2weeks now and if there was anything abnormal they would have let me know already.Yes they hold 10 qts. I am a maintenence freak and I would not do this without some solid proof that it works as in sampling my oil and using high quality stuff.

DmaxMaverick
05-02-2007, 11:00
I`m not sure how much oil the duramax holds some say 10 quarts,I`ll know for sure once I get mine.
The Ford 6.0 is 15 qts and Dodge 5.9 is 12 qts
But I would consider suggesting not letting the oil to go below the full mark that much, even if it only takes 16 oz. to bring the level back to the full mark.
How much oil is between the low/hi mark on the Duramax :confused:,I know Ford 6.0 diesel and Cummins is 2 quarts.

You can't use PS and Cummins capacities in comparison with the Duramax. The capacities between the engines are for different reasons for each respective engine. Cummins can have a greater capacity due to the length of the pan. If the Duramax had 6 rows of cylinders, it's likely it would have a greater capacity. The Powerstroke has a greater capacity because of the injector type, and the oil life is directly related to this injector type. HEUI injection places additional stress onto the engine oil, and therefore reduces oil life. Also, we cannot use heavy duty capacities and oil life in comparison, as the engine dynamics and uses are very different. Late model Diesel engines are significantly cleaner internally than older engines. Engineering tolerances, emmissions restrictions, machining processes and fuel quality in later engines allow for a much cleaner sump, for a longer period of time/miles. The 3000 mile oil change is old school, and no longer applies. The many advancements in engine/component design and oil formulation changes the rules. One drawback to this is other components (lube points, for example) which haven't changed, will be missing the service normally done at the old intervals.

D_R_C
05-02-2007, 17:02
Thanks for the input.
I was not totally compairing the P.S. and Cummins and at this point they are all I have to go on,speaking of the smaller diesels.
As of now I know nothing about the Duramax LMM except the spelling.
And any of the dealers/service/parts I have spoke to seems to know less than I do,other than saying it is a good engine.
Heck all of them say that,about there products,and I learned the painfull way with the P.S. 6.0.