PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Line / Flow Diagram

69ra3ta
04-24-2007, 09:42
Does anyone out there have a schematic of the fuel flow for the 6.5? I am getting shavings in my fuel bowl and want to trace the fuel flow from end-to-end without guessing.

Any ideas where these metal shaving may be coming from would be appreciated.

I/P replaced 2 years ago, lift pump just replaced. Does stall however.

Doug

rameye
04-24-2007, 15:01
I dont have a fuel diagram handy...however..

If I am to understand you correctly..we are talking about debris in the bottom of the filter bowl...correct??

from memory here goes..

The fuel is picked via pre-filter sock in the fuel tank.....piped to the fuel pump located under the drivers seat. then pumped up over the bellhousing into the filter/heater assembly...from the assembly into the IJ pump...to injectors..returns tie together an follow basicallly the same route back to the tank from whence it came.

If you are getting actual shavings I doubt if they made thru the filter sock.. They are most likely due to the old fuel pump giving them up when it died or possibly entered into the system during the fuel pump changeover.

Thats my thought..others will follow..

What to do??

Scrap the filter element.disconnect the hose from the IJ pump .run the fuel pump for a half gallon or so in a bucket as to purge any garbage left in the line pump to filter...clean out filter bowl...really clean...blow out the line filter to IJ pump....re-install new filter element...start truck (after purging air of course)..while truck is running open drain cock and see if truck still stalls....if all is well

stand-by for next disaster...you got lucky!

69ra3ta
04-24-2007, 17:45
Thanks rameye

We cleaned out the lines already. I am in denial but it may be the Injection Pump self-destructing. The shavings may be from the IP return / bypass back to the fuel bowl if one exists. That is why I was asking about a flow diagram or schematic to confirm my thoughts. As I mentioned, it still keeps stalling, one of the signs of IP failure.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Doug

rameye
04-24-2007, 17:53
I never heard of that happening (doesnt mean it cant..not an expert)

The unused fuel from the IP gets sent back to the tank with the return from the injectors, does not get rycyled to the filter bowl. Trace the line as it exits the IP..goes into another fuel line non-stop back into the tank....it is highly doubtful that it is making past the filter sock and back into the fuel bowl...

How big are these shavings??

No way the truck runs if the IP is grenading like that! Does it run??

This is pretty interesting stuff...keep us posted.

I have my whole top of the engine (manifold/IP and INJ lines) off I can send you a photo of the return line and how they route if that would help.

69ra3ta
04-25-2007, 09:17
Thanks again rameye,

Yes, strange. The truck runs for 5 minutes max then stalls out. It needs to sit a while before it will start again.

The shavings are about 0.005 - 0.010 in. and metallic.

Please send the pics you mentioned.

Thanks!
Doug

Robyn
04-25-2007, 09:38
Fuel flows from the tank through the clod sifter and to the electric lift pump. From there it passes to the fuel filter/heater assembly and then to the IP and on to the injectors.

The returns run from the Injectors and the IP via the return lines back to the tank.
There is no bypass to the filter.

If you are getting crap in the bowl you need to find out where its coming from.

As much as I hate to say it, the IP is the most probable source for crap.

I would place a small clear plastic filter in the return line from the IP up top so you can watch it.

If the sucker is stalling you definately have issues. :eek:

If you are geting crap up top you need to 1 find the source. 2 completely flush the system including dropping the tank/tanks and cleaning them out.
4 replace the offending part /parts that are churning up the crud.

Most likely your Ip is eating itself.
Are these shavings magnetic (steel) ??

Cant say much thats cheery about this condition. Your just gonna have to work through it is all. :(

If you end up doing the IP I would also replace the lift pump and have the injectors gone through also in case some of the crap has found its way into the far reaching nooks and crannies.

best of luck

Robyn

moondoggie
04-25-2007, 10:57
Good Day!

You might want to click on "Quick Links", then "Edit Signature", & let us know what year, model, equipment etc. truck you are talking about. It's handy, because you don't have to remember to do it, it shows up at the bottom of all your posts automatically. ;)

Blessings!

sailun
04-25-2007, 11:13
How's the PMD ?

Also 2 years old with IP ?

Mounted on a cooler ?

Checked wiring/grounds ?

69ra3ta
04-25-2007, 14:42
sailun -
Thanks for the questions. Please see rest of post for answers.

moondoggie -
Thanks for the tip. I have updated my profile to include vehicle description.

robyn -
Thanks for the input and insight. As I stated earlier, I suspect the IP just as you do. The lift pump is brand new as are the glow plugs, glow controller, oil pressure switch and new Standyne fuel filter. The system has been flushed and wiring / grounding checked.

The IP is 2 years old as is the remotely mounted PMD and injectors. If I replace it, it will have been the 5th pump in 200K miles. Not a great return on investment is it?!

Also replaced recently, vacuum pump, turbo charger and wastegate solenoid.

Other upgrades include K&N Filter, upgraded cooling system (dual thermostat, larger fan, hi-volume water pump courtesy of SSDiesel Supply) new radiator and Banks exhaust and chip.

69ra3ta
04-25-2007, 14:55
I forgot to mention a strange anomaly.

Two years ago shortly after I replaced the IP, the engine developed an intermittent knock. I thought that the crank was about to let loose (not uncommon with 6.5 TD's). So I dropped it off at the shop and had them try to diagnose the source of the knock. They thought it was the injectors and not the crank / rods. I had the injectors replaced but still have the knock.

The knock sounds like a rod knock. I usually knocks when cold and goes away when it warms up. I have good oil pressure and have no shavings in the oil. I figured it would fail but it has been 2 years.

I have checked for exhaust leaks, harmonic balancer, injectors.

I have since put on about 35K miles (long road trips and towing) since first hearing the knock. It has not gotten any worse.

Any ideas??

I am going to submit a new post on this issue.

rameye
04-26-2007, 07:07
I didnt realize the shavings were so tiny...I was thinking broken pencil lead size chunks....

In all honesty if the IP is the source..it will jam the injectors and it wont run for crap...I'm working thru that problem right now..I just had mine popped....4 of 8 were no good.

I am considering putting in a 10 micron flter before the fuel pump just make it right.

Racor makes some marine applications that will work for us...very low tech.

I'll defer to Robyn...she's got the experience..

pic to follow

69ra3ta
04-26-2007, 10:17
Thanks rameye. Thanks in advance for the pics.

rameye
04-26-2007, 12:02
send me an e-mail @ rameye@optonline.net and I'll e-mail you a nice pic of the fuel routing...too small a pic here is allowed to make it worth looking at.

69ra3ta
04-26-2007, 12:19
E-mail sent

joe bleaux
02-07-2010, 17:13
Say, Doug, did you ever find out what is/was causing the knocking sound in your engine? I have the same problem. I took it to an injector/pump repair shop and they did not think it is related to the injectors or i/pump.

My '98 6.5 knocks but get quieter when warm. Runs okay but I think that I have a new probelm in that I suspect the in-tank filter sock is clogged. Going to drop the tank as soon as I can.

Thanks,

Joe

I forgot to mention a strange anomaly.

Two years ago shortly after I replaced the IP, the engine developed an intermittent knock. I thought that the crank was about to let loose (not uncommon with 6.5 TD's). So I dropped it off at the shop and had them try to diagnose the source of the knock. They thought it was the injectors and not the crank / rods. I had the injectors replaced but still have the knock.

The knock sounds like a rod knock. I usually knocks when cold and goes away when it warms up. I have good oil pressure and have no shavings in the oil. I figured it would fail but it has been 2 years.

I have checked for exhaust leaks, harmonic balancer, injectors.

I have since put on about 35K miles (long road trips and towing) since first hearing the knock. It has not gotten any worse.

Any ideas??

I am going to submit a new post on this issue.

rustyk
02-07-2010, 22:45
Check your damper on the crankshaft pulley; it'll make a racket if failed.