PDA

View Full Version : 2002 idle surge - fuel pressure regulator?

Mark Rinker
04-25-2007, 12:01
My 2002 has developed a very very slight surge while idling. Injectors were replaced about 25K miles ago, no smoke, no oil dilution, good mileage, normal power and operation under throttle.

Is the FPR a 'user serviceable' part to throw at the problem, or is a trip to the stealership in order? What happens next if its not addressed?

Duramaster
04-25-2007, 19:30
The FRP is a replaceable part but it costs over 300 BUCKS! Check fuel and air filters. There was also some software updates for 2001/ 2002? for idle surge complaints. The FRP doesn't require any special GM tools, but it does require some paitence and torx bits. (and hold your tongue just right).

chipper
04-25-2007, 21:06
FPR is covered under 80K emmissions & 100K engine warranty. Chec your owners manual.

Mark Rinker
04-26-2007, 06:21
Damn I missed it by 100K miles... :)

More Power
04-26-2007, 11:21
My '01 began an idle surge about a year and a half ago. I hadn't been running a fuel additive, but began about a year ago. The idle surge is now nearly gone. The surge lessened after just a couple of tanks of treated fuel, and has slowly improved since. May be a coincidence - might not be..... :)

Jim

Mark Rinker
04-26-2007, 13:00
It started on my last long road trip east. Maybe bad fuel. I'll run a few tanks of local, known quality fuel with FPPF and see what transpires.

Mitchagain
04-26-2007, 13:57
Ya know, I have been hearing about "idle surge" for several years now. Is what everybody reports visible on the Tacho? Does it do it when in gear or just in P or N?

My truck has always (85k now) had a slightly perceptible "surge" for most of its life. But it comes and goes, never consistant, except more often when less that 180* engine temp, though not always then either. When it does it, it can't be registered on the Tach. When the transmission is in gear, its not there. Anybody have an input?

Horse_gal_jen
04-27-2007, 08:30
my truck has the same surge. noticed after a long road trip to Texas.
We thought it might have had soemthing to do with the load we were carrying but it continues after.

We had the injectors repalces shortly after that and thought that might solve that problem as well but it didn't.

We just had a bunch of fuel lines and fuel filter head reaplced and thought that might help too but its still there.

I was told by one garage that my FPR was going, but I haven't tried to change it yet because its so expensive and another dealer told me it was fine.

I don't seem to notice a circumstance when mine surges more, but it certainly is Sporadically. it surges at an idle when you are sitting at a stoplight, or sometimes when it is in park as well.

doesn't seem to do it at higher speed though.

I have been adding some howes conditioner to my tank recently to see if that makes a differnce and the dealership says howes wont void my warranty.

I am interested to know about the software updates that Duramaster mentioned. I may look into that. is there a website that lists those types of recalls and problems?

Horse_gal_jen
04-27-2007, 08:44
duramaster, I talked to my dealership and they said i would ahve to bring the truck in for them to scan it and see if i had the latest software and it would cost me 100$!!!:eek:

Kennedy
04-27-2007, 08:49
The surge will be dampened/suppressed by lubricity additive for a while, but will undoubtedly return.

Duramaster
04-28-2007, 02:50
That software update only takes about fifteen minutes on the 2001 to 2005 models. Tell them to work faster. GM pays 4 tenths of an hour to perform programming operations (24 minutes).:cool: