PDA

View Full Version : Buying my first TD 6.5

cudaaa
10-14-2003, 20:01
Hi Im looking at a 95 1500 4x4 with 130k 3.73 rear end gear and auto. This truck looks very clean! Any thing special to look for on these trucks? Potential problems? Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks cudaaa

tom.mcinerney
10-14-2003, 20:33
Not sure if this helps--you've been here longer than me:
See , this forum, 'buying a '94 with a 6.5L', 10/7/03, mndiesel. Again , here , topic 'money hungry 6.5' begun by 'Jolie' 10 14 03.
Also, in "members forum", see topic, 'common problems', begun by '1340', post by More Power, 4:22 P.M., 10/13/'03.

turbovair
10-15-2003, 00:14
Knowing what I know now after over 6 years with my 96, the year truck I would buy if I were to buy a 6.5 again(in my opinion) would be a 98-99. These trucks have some fairly serious reliability upgrades incorporated in the oiling/cooling department. I am currently upgrading to 97 and up cooling system components. Also, 95 was the first year for the electronic (computer controlled) diesel pump.As a buyer I would be very interested to know when the pump was last replaced, by whom, and with what? This truck would have to be extremely well maintained and at a good price if I were to consider buying it.Just my .02.

twaddle
10-15-2003, 01:35
Hi there,
If you can get the trucks VIN number
go to a local GM/Chevy dealer and ask them to give you a print out of any warranty work that has been carried out on the truck.

Go by your gut feeling, has the truck been well looked after or do some things not add up, if you know what I mean.
The main thing that will most likely to give you aggrevation is the Fuel injection system or associated componants.
Try and find proof of when the fuel injection pump was last replaced, ask for repair invoices and records etc.

Allow in your budget for the purchase of some spares to be kept with the vehicle just in case the stalling gremlin suddenly hops aboard one day.

Good luck and I hope it's a good truck.

Regards

Jim Twaddle
Biggar, Scotland

bnmccoy
10-15-2003, 03:03
My recommendation to my son in law about buying a 6.5 was to stay away from them. Primarily when we are (or were!) traveling pulling travel trailers his 350 powered Suburban couldn't keep up with my 6.5 so he was interested. Frankly in my opinion unless you're a gear head and don't mind expecting problems I would stay away from a 6.5TD. The son-in-law now has a 8.0 with Allison which can sure do the job, but it is rather thirsty for the gasoline!

BTW, the electronic Stanadyne injection pump came out in 1994

catmandoo
10-15-2003, 04:42
i personnally don't like the elec i/p and if worse comes to worse i've heard of people on here converting them to mechanical but i love my 92 and would'nt trade it for any gas suckin big block

StephenA
10-15-2003, 04:54
I ditto catmando. My 92 mechanical rules!

rjschoolcraft
10-15-2003, 05:23
The 6.5 has had some problems. Most have been addressed.

My 95 had an engine replaced under warranty at 65,000 miles and the Injection Pump later under warranty at 76,000 miles. More than 100,000 miles later, it is really running very well. Along the way I've upgraded the cooling system, added an intercooler and made other performance mods. The only real problem that I had after engine and pump replacement was overheating...the early cooling systems just weren't sized properly for heavy towing. I've put about $3100 of modifications into the truck after paying $22,500 for it when it was five years old with 58,000 miles. That's still a lot less than anything comparable available now. I have had Zero FSD problems. The second pump has been extremely reliable.

Aside from that, I've replaced the alternator three times, replaced the crank pulley, tensioner bearing, A/C compressor twice, glow plug relay, vacuum pump and boost solenoid.

Turbine Doc
10-15-2003, 07:47
If you get the VIN not only have the dealer publish a report, but go to Edmunds.com and get history there free for most recalls etc, or CARFAX paid history search including who owned it history.

I've had my 98 since 2000 mostly trouble free to date, IP went 2nd week I had it maybe that is why 1st owner got rid of it, or maybe they upped to a DMAX and traded mint cond. and 37K when I bought it; that has been the only high $ problem which was covered under warranty. I replaced the alternator because I did not like the noise it's bearing was making. Now at 78K many longevity mods as I could afford because I sometimes pull big loads for a K1500.

With proper upgrades it will make reliable power, and they can be done systematically as you can afford them. I'd start with PMD cooler, exhaust, gages, and intake flow mods, those IMHO are easiest bang for buck mods, the rest give gains in longevity and unleash available power, if you are just daily driver occasional light tow probably all you will need. Start frequent tow or pulling heavy loads over 5K you will want improved H2O/fan clutch cooling mods, more oil/bypass filts, bigger trans pan, maybe trans cooler, trans gage, mandrel cross over, IC

You can go into the engine lower piston ratio's, bigger turbo, injectors, 300HP IP and get seat of the pant's big gains. That becomes a how deep is your wallet point in my view. With the mods I've done I have no problem with a 12K trailer load, my heaviest haul to date. Not a "qualified expert" here just listing what has worked for me.

cudaaa
10-15-2003, 19:44
Thanks for all the help it is greatly appreciated cudaaa