PDA

View Full Version : Advice on purchase of new Diesel

69ttop502
04-27-2007, 20:37
Hello everyone. I have been reading here for a few months as well as on the Dieselstop forum. I am in the market for a new Diesel truck, either Ford or Chevy/GMC. I am looking for a crew cab so the Dodge is out because I don't like the bed configurations of the Mega Cab. My current truck (actually recently sold) was a 2003 Silverado SS. I will be towing around 8-10000 pounds fairly regularly. I am only interested in the non-emissions motors so either a 6.0 liter Powerstroke or an LBZ GM. I have driven both vehicles and I must say I like the Powertrain package of the GM much better than the Ford, but I like the rest of the Ford truck better. Just seems heavier and more solid, and more interior room.

I liked my Silverado, however there were some things I didn't like and I don't know how they may correspond to a 2500/3500. One thing was the constant banging of the intermediate steering shaft. Lube kit after lube kit and they could never seem to quiet it down. Also the truck had a very noisy front differential with two warranty replacements of the bearings. I was told this was the same diff as in the 4X4 trucks only it was exposed to continuous duty in my AWD SS. I also always felt that the brakes in my Silverado had a very soft and spongy pedal. I realize another set of emissions standards come into effect in 2010, which is the main reason I don't want to jump right in on the newer motors.

Also, is the LMM motor 2010 emmisions compliant? I have read where the Ford 6.4 is not. Sorry for the long rant but I am really undecided here.
Thanks,

Bill

jharden1
04-28-2007, 03:33
I will be towing around 8-10000 pounds fairly regularly. I am only interested in the non-emissions motors so either a 6.0 liter Powerstroke or an LBZ GM.

FWIW TDP article explains the new exhaust components. My driving is mostly freeway so regeneration should be passive, trailer pulling will also have EGT's high enough to passive regenerate. The active regeneration events are where the unknowns are in my mind.

I have driven both vehicles and I must say I like the Powertrain package of the GM much better than the Ford, but I like the rest of the Ford truck better.

I have never driven a drive train that performed as well as the Duramax/Allison combination. You will have to tow to believe what a nice job it does.

I liked my Silverado, however there were some things I didn't like and I don't know how they may correspond to a 2500/3500. One thing was the constant banging of the intermediate steering shaft. Lube kit after lube kit and they could never seem to quiet it down.

There is a shaft replacement bulletin that might have fixed it, also a complete list on TDP (The Diesel Page).

Sorry for the long rant but I am really undecided here.

No problem. IMO for upwards $50k you have spend these days you ought get what you want and like. I've owned Ford, GMC, and Chevy trucks. The Chevy's have won me over, for now.

More Power
04-28-2007, 15:25
Your '03 Silverado SS probably had the NVG-236/246 2-speed automatic transfer case. These are light-duty units that operate quite differently than the NVG-261/263 used in the 2001-2006 HD pickups. With the 261/263 versions, you only need to worry about the case wear-through issue some have dealt with.

I haven't heard if the GMT-900 HD trucks are getting a different t-case.

Jim

BTW - I'm using 2003 SS Silverado 20" 6-lug wheels on our Lil Red Duramax project truck... :) Luv em...

letsgo
04-28-2007, 15:46
I would wait and read as much as posible on the exhaust partical trap, then decide what to do.

good luck

D_R_C
04-28-2007, 17:22
Of course I am a little bitter on a ford 6.0 I just got rid of a 03 great truck but the 6.0 is prone for issues.
Turbo,injectors,head gaskets you name it they will haunt you and not just one time.
What burned me out with ford was after seeing Rousch racing beautiful Ford 6.0 in for a complete engine replacement @ 101 K.
This was after Rousch having everything done twice under warranty with issues I stated above and then seeing 2 new 6.4`s with problems @ the dealership with the cabs off.
In order for the diesel mech to do just about any major repairs they have to remove the cab.
With Ford already having problems on the 6.4 just check out thedieselstop.com forums and read on the 6.0 and 6.4 there are pages and pages of posts with issues.
Nothing of any nature can you find the magnitude of problems with a Duramax like you do with Fords diesels.
This made a believer of me to come back to GM.
Good luck

Dakster
04-28-2007, 17:23
I would wait and read as much as posible on the exhaust partical trap, then decide what to do.

good luck

I'll be reporting on it here once I get it. I'm getting the new LMM... I'll be getting a 4WD, but doubt I'll be using it all that often. I mainly like the way the 4WD trucks sit and ride, plus the additional safety of knowing if I do need to "go off-road" I can. I believe I fall into the light use category, so my regens should be more often and last along time. Except a few times a year I rarely drive more than 10-15 miles at a time....