PDA

View Full Version : oil in the intake

rlvelin
01-16-2004, 12:22
While doing the airbox mods the other day I noticed that there was about 2oz of engine oil sitting in the rubber connection between the turbo outlet and upper intake and also in the plenum as well as smeared along all the surfaces. Is this normal, is the turbo seal(s) leaking excessively or is it being sucked through what I guess would the PCV valve (the metal can dohickey that sits on the passenger side valve cover and has printed on it "this end up")? Also the engine uses almost 2 quarts of oil between changes and there are no oil leaks.

Upon inspection of the dohickey it was discovered that there is a spring within it that doesn't appear to do anything and the blow/suck tests revealed free flow in either direction and a lasting taste of used engine oil. Any help in this matter is appreciated, thanks.

Dvldog 8793
01-16-2004, 12:34
Howdy
Once apon time I got my turbo replaced under warrenty because I convinced the dealer that the inner turbo seal was leaking. I later learned that some oil is normal and is from the PCV (this end up dohicky) It sounds like your oil consumption may be a little excessive! :eek: Unless you go 15,000 miles between changes :D I think I would try to figure out why it is eating so much oil. My truck always a little oil in the intake system, but in 2500-3000 miles i only lose about 1/2qt and I have leaking cooler lines(soon to be fixed). Sometimes if you engine has EXTREAM blowby problems you can remove the oil fill cap and hold your hand over the hole w/ engine running and feel hard compression. Ho0pe this helps!
L8r
Conley

cruzer
01-16-2004, 12:39
The doo hickey you are talking about is the CDR . Your oil consumption seems fair. You can look in the troubleshooting guide under "excesive
oil consuption", it tells about the function of the CDR. Alittle oil in between turbo and motor. GM states to replace CDR every 30,000
miles in the owner manual. I don't think alot of people do though. I did after 130K, it seemd to make a diff.

Dieselboy
01-16-2004, 12:41
I did the same test on both my old and new CDR with the same results. The only difference being that the new CDR didn't have the signature flavor of 15w-40. ;)

Try out GMCTD's manometer test on your CDR. I did, and proved that 300,000 miles is enough to wear out the old style CV870 canister. :D

rlvelin
01-16-2004, 13:26
Thanks for all the good info. I did the manometer test wich revealed a positive crankcase pressure. I also noticed some gasses flowing from either the dipstick tube or the oil fill tube depending on which one was open, again an indication of positive pressure.

So is the CDR a dealer item or would I be able to get it from a parts store, also any guesses on the cost?

triggerman
01-16-2004, 21:36
The oil you use also can be part of the problem. The CI rating is designed to minimize vaporing of the oil due to the new EGR's on the big rigs. I had terrible vaporing with Castrol 15 40 synthetic blend. Now, with Pennsoil there is no oil laying in the bottom of the intake tube.

Dieselboy
01-17-2004, 10:13
I made the mistake of going to the dealer. Try GMpartsdirect.com. They should have it, and at a much better price.

triggerman
01-17-2004, 19:49
I like useing vanchevrolet.com in AZ for a flat 30 percent off all GM parts. I had a lost part in the mail from them and Brian the parts manager made sure I got squarded away with it. THAT means alot. ;)