PDA

View Full Version : 4L80E Transgo Kit, Worth It?

Duncan Sterling
04-30-2007, 07:22
Howdy All,

Was towing a #6000 boat yesterday with the 'burb on a relatively cool day (low 70s).

As it got hotter climbing hills (coolant temp up to 210F, versus normal 200), my 4L80E stopped going into 4th and lockup.

I know that there are two solenoids in the pan that can get "tired" and stop working normally when hot so they may need changing.

But I'm wondering in general if a Transgo shift kit for HD use will help here with the kind of load I'm putting on this transmission. I believe Kennedy and Summit Racing both stock kits for the 4L80E

Any opinions on this?

Thanks!

john8662
04-30-2007, 10:35
Being it's a '91, I'd vote Transgo, because the Transgo kits tend to "update" the components before modifying the existing guts.

The early 4L80E's had issues (as most things do), most can be fixed in these kits.

You can purchase an updated Solenoid KIT from GM that has all the noids.

I'd recommend changing them all, I've done the one before, and ended up needing to go back into the pan to do the rest.

J

Duncan Sterling
05-01-2007, 09:25
Being it's a '91, I'd vote Transgo, because the Transgo kits tend to "update" the components before modifying the existing guts.

The early 4L80E's had issues (as most things do), most can be fixed in these kits.

You can purchase an updated Solenoid KIT from GM that has all the noids.

I'd recommend changing them all, I've done the one before, and ended up needing to go back into the pan to do the rest.

J

Thanks for the quick response.

I found the transgo kit, no prob and will be ordering that today.

I just tried calling Team Chevrolet in Scotsbluff, Nebraska, and their parts department said they didn't see a listing for a "solenoid kit". Any further clues on this, or perhaps part numbers?

Thanks for your help!

dieseldummy
05-01-2007, 22:29
There always seem to be solenoid kits on ebay. Some genuine GM and some aftermarket. That would be a place to start at least. I run the regular transgo in my '93 and love it. I wouldn't run a stock trans without it. As John mentioned the transgo corrects many problems with the early model transmissions.

DA BIG ONE
05-02-2007, 15:16
Update w/sonnex products then go w/transgo kit. There are many updates and failure issues that need to be addressed on such an old 4L80e. A 99 or newer unit has all the updates.

Cooling should include a B&M supercooler which comes w/160 deg stat and heavyduty puller fan...........IMHO

Shikaroka
05-07-2007, 10:47
A 99 or newer unit has all the updates.

How about a 96? Do they benefits from any updates?

How far do you have to tear down the tranny to replace the solenoids?

DA BIG ONE
05-13-2007, 02:59
How about a 96? Do they benefits from any updates?

Sonnex will list all needed updates but I don't have their web site address handy search: SONNEX

Kennedy
05-14-2007, 18:56
The Transgo kit # 4L80EHD2 is what I use/recommend/sell.