PDA

View Full Version : Bad Pump???

BiggR
04-30-2007, 10:07
Yesterday I started having problems with my truck running rough and missing, I just filled up with fuel the night before, and assumed I had a bad batch of fuel! It eventually died, but restarted quickly but ran in limp mode until I stopped and restarted again! I retrieved the codes today and got a 17,18,35,36 and 54, I have replaced FSD with my backup one, and still no change! Anyone have any ideas on this one....Bad Pump???? Optical Sensor??? Bad Fuel???

Thanks
Bigg R

rameye
04-30-2007, 14:44
I first rule out all of the usual suspects...bad grounds, frayed wires..(especially those which enter the truck under the A/C lines) fuel pressure and flow etc.

I'm a strict amatuer here but I recognize those codes as the "death codes" my pump threw when it gave up the ghost.

Of course any of the ground/low voltage/no voltage situations could mimic these codes also..

Have fun...I feel your pain.

gmctd
04-30-2007, 20:08
Those codes collectively will also set for bad fuel - clear the codes, pull the lift pump fuse, dump the stuff in the filter cannister, pour in some fresh #2, crank it up see how it runs after it purges, continue topping off the open filter till it smoothes out.

May have to clear the codes again until it clears up - if it doesn't clear up, check the wiring, connections and grounds, try it again.

redbird2
04-30-2007, 22:16
Not saying you put the wrong fuel in however several years ago a local station had 7500 gallons on unleaded dumped into 8000 galoons of diesel made one hell of mess for there insurance company. actual trucking companies insurance had to pay off to fix mess and 19 trucks 7 of my fleet trucks.

check the fuel easiest thing to check first

BiggR
05-01-2007, 20:01
I'm gonna run out this tank, before I make any decisions! It only went into limp mode once, and only seems to miss bad when you get on it!!!!

ronniejoe
05-01-2007, 21:19
Have you verified lift pump operation?

BiggR
05-02-2007, 14:38
Have you verified lift pump operation?

Ron, I did check the usual suspects, lift pump is running @ 7-8psi, also put my "extra" FSD on, and it didn't change. I guess I'll run this tank out, and if it still acts up, I'll put on a new pump! I guess good thing I waited to put my gear drive in HUH?

Rick

BiggR
05-03-2007, 20:01
Well so much for running this tank out, it only runs in limp mode, and starts very hard!! I think it's new pump time, who's got the best deal???

JohnC
05-04-2007, 13:27
Those codes cover a lot of ground. I'd be certain you don't have a power or grounding problem before you throw a pump at it.