PDA

View Full Version : Is this a bad sign or what??

rameye
04-30-2007, 13:50
Been working thru some long-standing issues with my truck..

Had IP rebuilt...installed...truck wont run.....sent back to rebuilder...he says pump is 100%...ok, go for re-install....

Line up IP bolts in gear... start bolting the pump up thru the oil fill hole.. goes OK....ready to torque bolts...start torqing..

Notice the IP gear is spinning when I apply 20 lbs torque....however crank is stationary...

I figure this is not the way its supposed to be...no brainer...I'm thinking keyway issue??...or chain or something radical??

Truck ran great before I took it apart!...jeez

gmctd
04-30-2007, 19:51
Check the drive-gear key in the camshaft nose...............

rameye
04-30-2007, 19:57
ever hear of this going???

gmctd
04-30-2007, 19:58
Heard of it not going when it shears...............

rameye
05-01-2007, 04:39
fair enuff....exploratory surgery to follow today...

might as well put a new chain on while I'm having fun

More Power
05-01-2007, 11:36
Never - ever use the starter to rotate the engine to r&r the bolts holding the gear to the IP. :(

Jim

rameye
05-01-2007, 15:46
Thanks for the response Jim...

I didnt use the starter to rotate the engine for the purposes of bolting....

When I was hand rotating it...it wouldnt budge...would move 10-15 degrees in either direction..then dead stop...didnt matter how big the breaker bar was!

I was in a rage! I knew I dropped a small washer in there and figured it must be jamming the works...I was in a rage because the truck has been off the road since November for a simple pump problem, and I knew I would now have to dismantle the whole front of the engine to get a f@#c&ng washer!

So I did the here goes nothing routine, and tapped it over with the starter...I and there went the Injection pump cam gear shear pin!

Nuff of the stupidity....

I looked at the chain...just about removed it without moving both gears..pretty scary...super sloppy. All the gears look very nice.

So I had to rotate the cam in order to remove the broken key way pin..I marked it so it will be pretty close...I set myself up with dot to dot on the timing gears...I'm sure it'll be major fun getting the timing marks spot on again!

PS I found the washer neatly squashed into the timing chain! R8098828