PDA

View Full Version : Radiator fluid leak

kevin77
12-05-2004, 18:56
I'm leaking radiator fluid out the front of the engine:

http://www.nationalplazas.com/m4100166.jpg

I peeked under the hood and under the truck - dry on top - wet on the bottom. IS there anything else besides a water pump this could be?

6.5 vin F K2500 suburban 180,000 miles

Kevin

kevin77
12-05-2004, 18:58
Well that picture didn't work the way I wanted...

Oh yea, it is a drip every minute leak and I was short about 1 quart of fluid from a week or two ago.

Kevin

charliepeterson
12-07-2004, 19:58
From the top down it could be thermostat housing, heater supply connection on the water crossover pipe next to thermostat, look for white powder here where the pipe screws into the crossover pipe. The water pump has a weep hole on the bottom half to one side, grab the fan and try to move it up down or side to side. This will tell you if the bearing is shot on the front of the water pump. The lower radiator hose can leak at the connection at the pump. All of these leaks can be found in the middle of the engine like yours is leaking.
The quickest way to find a tough leak is to pressurize the coolant system from the plastic surge tank. The cap is rated for 15 pounds so this is what you shoot for. Only a hand pump can be used. Some big auto supply stores might loan one out.