PDA

View Full Version : i want to hear the turbo

mikestyle
05-01-2007, 21:24
hey guys im new to this forum and was woundering if there was any way to make the turbo louder, maby something to do with the blow off valve, i would really like to hear the wine that it produces.

Thanks

JeepSJ
05-01-2007, 22:18
Our setups do not have blow-off valves. Are you maybe referring to the wastegate?

The stock intake systems are designed to quiet things down. Some people have reported more turbo noise when they go to an open element type system.

ratman
05-01-2007, 22:27
It has been my experience that opening up the exhaust yielded the best "turbo song" outta my truck.

However, -I wussed out and put a muffler back on 'er, because she had a bad drone in the cab at highway speeds that drove me nuts.

But, with the 4" straight pipe, -I used to intentionally drive around with the windows down just to hear the turbo, -even in wintertime!

We're a sick crowd, -ain't we? :D

gerry1
05-02-2007, 07:17
Opening the exhaust makes a little more turbo whine. I found replacing the stock filter with an open cone type filter under the hood made the biggest increase in noise. This type of filter pulls in (hot) air from under the hood, which can cause some problems on hot days depending on how and where you drive.

Gerry

Robyn
05-02-2007, 08:55
Howdy

I run class 8 heavy trucks and the turbo on a big cat can be quite noticeable at times under load. These have a distinct sound from the air cleaners as well as out the stacks. SCAREEEEEEEEEEEEM :eek:

The design of the compressor (Cold side) and the turbine (hot side) all contribute to the amount of noise you hear.

The whistle in the exhaust will be more evident with a larger system for sure.
Opening up the intake such as with a different air filter system can and will produce a lot of BUZZZZZZZZZZZ from the engine.

The turbo system on these is such that you can hear the intake pulses quite readily and it can get anoying after a while.

A good 3-1/2 to 4" exhaust system with a resonator or open muffler is going to do about all you can to make the turbo whistle noticable.

The PS Fords seem to produce a lot of whistle with large exhaust and its more to do with the turbo design I think.

The turbine in the 6.5 is a fairly small little wheel and the design of the gas flow through it is what makes the noise.

After listening to turbo howl in a big truck for over 2 Mil miles I really can do without it thankyou :D

Enjoy :)

Robyn

6.5 Detroit Diesel
05-02-2007, 11:50
Hey Ratman, good to know that I am not the only one who cranks the heat up and the windows down in the winter to hear the turbo. To start with on mine, I have put Ram-Air scoops on the hood and used four inch flex hose to run down into the intake. Then I on the 3" downpipe and stepped up to five inch exhaust. Five inch will just fit under the cab and box. The truck has a Cherry bomb on and the turbo screams like a newer chipped truck. Perhaps a bit to loud, but if want to hear the turbo.........

TurboDiverArt
05-02-2007, 13:26
I like it with only the rear door windows down in the Suburban. That way I don't hear as much engine clatter noise but only the roar of the exhaust. I also hear the distinct whistle of the turbo that way too. With the front passenger side window open the turbo sound isn't as distinct since the engine clatter is mixed in. Also, with only the rear windows down you can hear the turbo spool down with only a little boost. Coming down from 4-psi has a nice long whistle to it!

I also drive around in the winter with the heat on and the rear windows down.

Art.

lifer
05-02-2007, 14:24
There is a silver sheetmetal heat shield on the turbo whose removal can help increase the turbo whine. Removing the heat shield would probably keep the turbo cooler too, although you could burn your arm easier with the hot surfaces exposed.

sturgeon-phish
05-02-2007, 18:30
Maybe it has something to do with smelling diesel fuel, but the song of the turbo is sweet indeed! I like to drive along walls on the passenger side toreally hear the exhaust and turbo!!! Sick sick sick!
Like others have said, open the exhaust, low restriction air filter, and boost!
Jim

Robyn
05-02-2007, 20:24
Once the exhaust is opened up you wil really notice the off cadence exhaust note of the diesel.
The firing order being so much different gives these beasts a really different sound over there gasser counterparts.

Also the fact that the intake air is always wide open as compared to a gasser.

Do a dual turbo setup and get twice the whine :rolleyes:

ratman
05-02-2007, 20:42
It's nice to hear that there are other diesel-crazed folks out there.

Even my brother (who is a gearhead too) said I was nuts for driving with the windows down when it was 38 degrees out, -all he could do was complain about it being too cold.

I informed him that the turbo seemed to make more noise when the outside temps were nice and chilly, and that we had to "take advantage of the cold weather" -he just shook his head and said that the diesel fumes had gotten to me!

Since my truck's been down, -I'm going through withdrawals.

Can't wait to hear it run again, -that's for sure.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
05-02-2007, 21:59
:DSucks if your truck is down. Me and my dad has customzed our intakes a little before I put on the exhaust. The exhaust made a much bigger change in turbo sound than the intake. Another think I do to make noise and make the turbo sing is to put the truck in 1st or even Lo, while I am cruising a parking lot. I like to make people turn and look at this old truck that sounds like a semi. :D

rustyk
05-10-2007, 20:27
Shoot - I can hardly hear the engine. Of course, in my motorhome, it's in the rear....:D