PDA

View Full Version : Amsoil 15-40 in 07 DMax

Bad Max
05-02-2007, 06:49
I just bought two 2.5 gallon containers of 15-40 Amsoil and Amsoil filters for storage until my truck's oil change light comes on to change out my first oil change. I live in deep south Texas where it is always hot and never goes below 0 degrees. Should I stick with 15-40 instead of 5-40 due to where I live?
When would be a good idea to do my first oil change? Bully Dog techs says to wait till about 6,000 miles or wait till the oil change light comes on??????Thanks.
BadMax

More Power
05-02-2007, 13:38
No matter how clean an engine production plant might be, there'll always be some debris left in the engine. Plus a new engine will produce more wear metals during the first few hundred miles of use. And, the various assembly lubes and sealants used during engine assembly will find their way into the oil.

I recommend changing the oil and filter after accumulating the first few hundred miles. That is, if you tend to keep a vehicle for 200K miles or more. If you trade every three years or before 100K, just do the minimum amount of service required to maintain the warranty.

Jim