PDA

View Full Version : oil in turbo

nieto6.5 td
05-02-2007, 11:02
was changing air filter and performed the wiggle test on the turbo and it had oily sludge build up. does this mean that the turbo is going bad. just had a new ip installed along with oil pressure swicth and waste gate silinoead (how ever you spell that) and lift pump. turbo is fine according to the wiggle test and the shop that did the work also confirmed that it was fine. truck runs like a champ has 112,559 miles on it and was hoping to start doing some modifications on it like exchaust and injectors.

john8662
05-02-2007, 13:04
Turbo is fine, sounds like the normal accumulation of oil from blow-by that goes through the inlet of the turbo.

Wipe it clean and observe it next time you service the air filter.

Pretty normal really...

J

nieto6.5 td
05-02-2007, 14:05
thanks for the feedback John sure am glad for the news. just think about a new turbo makes my stomach hurt. you guys have some interesting topics here i pretty much have found every answer that i have been looking for in regards to my old work truck. appreciate all the help.

john8662
05-02-2007, 14:26
You're welcome.

In the event of needing a turbo, several turbo rebuilders can rebuild the turbo for ~$350, so that's really not that bad at all, as long as it's not too far gone...

J

Robyn
05-02-2007, 20:44
If its really sloppy try changing out the CDR valve.

They can get fouled and allow too much air/oil pull over