PDA

View Full Version : Turbo charger failure/replaced

frenchcreole
05-02-2007, 19:12
I have a 2003 GMC 2500 HD Duramax which I have owned since new. I don't do much towing and when I do I tow a bay series boat with a total weight of 2500 pounds. Last week with 67,200 miles on the clock the turbo went out while just cruising on the interstate. FYI.....It began whistling really loud and when I would let off the accelerator it sounded like the truck was jake braking. Long story short....new turbo charger was ordered and it came in with the waste gate assembly already in place. I saw my turbo once removed by the tech and the impeller on the intake side was worn down approx 1/4 inch....the bearing on the shaft was shot. The turbo/wastegate was replaced and the truck runs as good as it did when new. I went ahead and posted this thread b/c I could not find anywhere in the search option where anyone has had the turbo replaced due to failure.

Mark Rinker
05-02-2007, 19:55
First one I have read of on here. I did run the VIN of a C4500 (LLY) engine that went through two in the first 100K of operation. Different turbo from your LB7, however. Glad to hear things are back to normal.

Q: What is your air filter replacement interval? Oil brand and change interval?

frenchcreole
05-02-2007, 20:06
I have a K&N air filter that I have been running for about the past 30,000 miles. I am very attentive to servicing the air filter (probably too frequent), as for as the engine oil and filter I have always used Chevron Delo 15w-40, every 5,000 miles with Wix oil filters.

The GM Tech did check once the turbo was off to make sure the cam bearing had not spun, it was fine. So the turbo was getting adequate oiling. This is the first turbo replaced at this particular dealer since the Duramax hit the streets in 2001. The Tech was very much puzzled about the turbo failure.

Mark Rinker
05-02-2007, 21:22
Any power adders or aftermarket exhaust? I am just curious - probably just a mechanical defect in that turbo.

frenchcreole
05-03-2007, 09:37
Nothing.........this truck is bone stock.

Mark Rinker
05-04-2007, 06:32
Sounds like you simply got a bad one. Hope the next goes 250K!

LoClass
05-10-2007, 13:53
And I thought I was the only one who had lost a turbo. Last September, with about 74,000 I lost the turbo on my '03 LB7. It went while I was pulling a new snowmobile trailer home and was smoking heavily when I shut it down. According to the dealer, an internal oil seal failed and the engine oil was getting dumped into the engine intake. They told me they had seen a couple other failures, but that it was definitely a rare problem.

As for maintenance, I change oil around 7500 - 9000 miles, which is still before the oil life monitor goes off, with Amsoil semi-synthetic 15W-40. I also ended up with a new set of injectors at the same time. Once they got it running with the new turbo, they checked the balance rates and found that injector replacement was necessary. About 16,000 miles later and no problems.

Jake99Z71
05-10-2007, 16:44
I know a local guy that lost a turbo because of the waste gate falling apart. Boy did it smoke and not want to move.