PDA

View Full Version : fuel rail codes

horsewagon
05-04-2007, 15:09
I have a 2001 duramax that is showing a fuel rail code. We've done all the obvious, fuel pump ,hoses ,even the neutral drive switch. I'm strictly an amateur, but it's driving my mechanic nuts.
The symptoms are that the service engine soon light comes on and it drops into limp mode. Especially when i accelerate. Any thoughts?.

Duramaster
05-04-2007, 19:12
What Code(s) exactly are setting?:confused:

DmaxMaverick
05-04-2007, 23:56
Welcome to the Forums!

Original injectors?

Depending on the code, it could be excessive fuel return, translating into injectors. If you haven't replaced the injectors yet, better get it done soon. The warranty for 01's will run out soon. 7 years/200K miles.

horsewagon
05-05-2007, 05:14
Unfortunately the warranty on the injectors won't cover it unless a code has been set for that. It hasn't so the dealership basically told us to go piss up a rope on the warranty. I'll grab the info and post the exact codes later today. Thank you.

DmaxMaverick
05-05-2007, 11:15
Unfortunately the warranty on the injectors won't cover it unless a code has been set for that. It hasn't so the dealership basically told us to go piss up a rope on the warranty. I'll grab the info and post the exact codes later today. Thank you.

More often than not, failed injectors don't set a code for "injectors". High fuel return rates is part of the injector diagnostic steps.

You may also have a warranty covering the fuel system for emmission purposes. It would depend on the mileage and time, and varies slightly by state.

Find another dealer, and tell your current one to "go piss up that rope".

Dakster
05-06-2007, 06:07

The codes a vehicle sets only tell you what sensor is out of range, not neccessarily which part is bad. Where did the mechanics all go?

Go find another dealer, one that actually wants to fix trucks. After I left with the truck I'd make a call to GM and complain about that dealer. At least the dealer could have said, we'll pull the injectors and test them. If they test out ok, you are responsible for the R&R/testing. If they are bad, then warranty will take care of it. I've made this deal with a few dealers over the years.

However, a different dealer is sometimes easier. Especially when you bring it in and say here are the receipts for everything BUT the injectors being changed out and I still have this problem.

Duramaster
05-07-2007, 23:10
Where you located Horsewagon?:confused:

Kennedy
05-08-2007, 07:35
While this problem could simply be from mechanical wear to the injection pump and/or injectors there are a couple of things that you can try that are pretty non invasive.

1) Adding lift supply pump(s) to push fuel to and through the filters. The Kennedy Twin Pumps are what I would prescribe.

2) ECM programming. The 2001 does tend to exhibit the symptoms that you describe worse on some trucks than others. A simple programming change to a 2002 Operating System may help, but you never know until you try.