PDA

View Full Version : GM Radiator failures

6.542762mw
03-31-2005, 17:55
Hello all, please check this link!

http//www.enginecooling.com/crosflow.html

After reading this article I was on the phone to many local radiator shops to see if this was true, to my surprise it was. Currently Im am fighting this very issue.

As always I look forward to your comments.
Thanks
Mark

TurboDiverArt
04-01-2005, 02:36
Originally posted by 6.542762mw:
Hello all, please check this link!

www.enginecooling.com/crosflow.html (http://www.enginecooling.com/crosflow.html)

After reading this article I was on the phone to many local radiator shops to see if this was true, to my surprise it was. Currently Im am fighting this very issue.

As always I look forward to your comments.
Thanks
Mark Anyone on this board blown out a radiator? I'm sure there are plenty of people on this board pushing their truck past the limit most others do. My thought is that if the members here have not experienced this, it's probably not as big of a problem as the article makes out. I don't remember reading about this problem in the last 1-2 years of being a member.

Art.

rjschoolcraft
04-01-2005, 05:30
Never heard of it... know lot's of big block pickups with no problems.

autocrosser
04-01-2005, 07:36
I doubt that there is any difference in the truck failures and lots of other cas tha have the problem occur. It happens all the time. since the plastic end tanks were invented there has been lots of failures. I see the filler pipes break off also. That goes for most any make of car/truck out there now.

6.542762mw
04-01-2005, 16:00
Im not sure what is wrong then, unlike mention of plastic tanks all of my failed radiators are metal! And just like the article states, the inlet side of the radiator at the seam splits open! GM and aftermarket alike. Same place.
Currently on the 4th New radiator.

However I agree, with that many big blocks out there why are they not failing more often. Then the question is if the Duramax has a similar radiator why have none of them failed?

Thanks for your replys. I wised I could figure this one out.

Mark

hug
04-02-2005, 06:30
Working on radiators everyday I have never seen a blown 34" radiator. I seen alot of tanks split. Both sides split inlet and outlet But never exploded.

ogrice
04-02-2005, 13:20
My radiator failed on the inlet side tank. When I was in the South China sea doing circles for 6 months back in 2003, the genius who I left my truck with while I was gone, decided to run my truck into the ground. He overheated the engine good enough to blow the radiator end tanks.

I run dual electric fans on my truck using manual toggle switches. I guess the guy thought it had a mechanical unit. After that he was nice enough to skip town before I got back to the U.S.

I think the failures are more due to service cycling. If you put heavy loads on the engine your more prone to failure of the other related engine components. If your unit failed and this is not the case, I hope that you have a warranty for the radiator or your engine.

nigeljones
04-02-2005, 14:44
Did any one else note that the article was written in Nov 1999, 5 1/2 years ago.

One would think that if it was that a big of a problem it would have sustained it's self and we would all know about it.

That's my two cents :rolleyes: