PDA

View Full Version : what programmer for the new duramax

jsracing6
05-04-2007, 23:37
what programmer should i get for my new 07 duramax lmm, i will be doing a lot of towing 7000 to 15000#

Mark Rinker
05-05-2007, 07:35
Personally, I wouldn't add any programmer to the LBZ if your main purpose is towing. You have a welll tuned package from the factory, with full warranty if anything is to go south. Turn it up, tow with it, and you are on your own if you drop an injector or crack a piston.

Google 'LBZ cracked piston' and read before pouring the coal to a factory engine that already is providing some serious power numbers.

My advice would be to open up the exhaust, by-pass any emissions inefficiencies, experiment with cold air intakes, even investigate ways to increase the efficiency of your intercooler, engine oil, and tranny fluid coolers as ways of boosting towing performance, rather than going the plug-in route of adding more fuel.

jsracing6
05-05-2007, 16:34
well im only gettin 7-9 mpg towing a 28' enclosed race trailer! with my 2003 gmc duramax i got 14mpg with a hypertech programmer!

Mark Rinker
05-05-2007, 16:56
Thats not good - but think about it. Low MPG is too high fuel consumption for the work provided. Adding more fuel is obviously not the answer, so first addressing the root cause makes more sense.

I'd be for opening up intake and exhaust, changing to synthetic lubricants, etc and then investigate custom tunes rather than power adders. Dialing in some more boost would probably help as well.

I like my switchable tow/race tune from Kennedy Diesel. Don't know where he is on development of an LBZ version.

Dakster
05-06-2007, 06:15
Mark,

I noticed in you sig you have propane in one of your trucks... How do you like it compared to programmers/chips, etc.. I'm sure propane would give a boost in power for the LMM...

Some programmer do boost MPG, unless you have a lead foot.

Ramster21
05-06-2007, 10:55
You really can touch any part of the LMM systems, Intake, Exhaust, anything.
It's all EPA lock down. Good luck. Your factory ECM is highly protected now.
Haven't heard of any company doing programmer for the the new stuff yet.
Also expect emission testing or system checks for factory stuff to come.
This is all part of the EPA doings. :mad:
I'll keep my 2006 LBZ, forever... Change my oil every 3,000 miles. This is the key to long lasting diesels, maybe not as frequently, but might as well, bought the Oil for Life package, already paid for itself.

My 2 cents

Mark Rinker
05-06-2007, 14:59
I think propane on the LB7 series makes sense, but for the same reasons listed above, would be very careful adding it to the LBZ or LMM series.

My opinion is that for towing heavy and often, it makes sense. Especially if you have a ready supply at 65% or less cost per gallon than #2 diesel. Flying J's have been keeping it priced low to draw in RV'rs, so its easy to fill up on the road nationwide.

You can make big power in a hurry, so it takes some patience and self-control to use it for gaining economy AND power, but once dialed in you can cruise the hills with 15K# behind you like its not even there.

Dakster
05-06-2007, 19:50
Thanks for the info...!

I'm not planning on doing anything for a long time with my new ride. (I just picked it up tonight... See sig) I want to at least ride out the basic 3/36 warranty.

FWIW, Florida doesn't safety or emmission test anything. It didn't work in the 1970's or the 1990's.

I don't knock anyone who does it, but let's face it, the guy with the performance module or worked injectors set on smoke screen going down the highway hasn't helped our situation with the EPA.

BTW, since people are mentioning brands here, TSPERFORMANCE and EFI LIVE have performance tunes for the LMM that alledgely don't create havoc with the DPF or regen cycle... Don't know first hand and probably won't find out as I'm the only one I know with a LMM Diesel.

Kennedy
05-07-2007, 10:55
Thats not good - but think about it. Low MPG is too high fuel consumption for the work provided. Adding more fuel is obviously not the answer, so first addressing the root cause makes more sense.

I'd be for opening up intake and exhaust, changing to synthetic lubricants, etc and then investigate custom tunes rather than power adders. Dialing in some more boost would probably help as well.

I like my switchable tow/race tune from Kennedy Diesel. Don't know where he is on development of an LBZ version.

All I'll say is we can try it and see, but if a guy runs into emissions issues with the LMM I don't want to be on the hook for it. I'm sure we can make it run and run pretty clean, but it's going to take a lot of trial and error...

WILLYD-MAX
05-08-2007, 17:49
Jsracing6..... You say you got 14mpg towing a 28' trailer with your hypertech?? I don't believe that unless that was hand calculated. A lot of those power adders throw off your DIC. A friend of mine thot he was getting way better milage with a super chips on his LBZ until I broke his bubble and told him to check it by hand.

Mark Rinker
05-08-2007, 21:26
14mpg is totally possible. We regularly average 13's with 30' trailers in tow and average loads of 6-8K.

Dan@PPE
05-09-2007, 01:08
We have some LMM tuners ready to go 225FWHP....

Dan

WILLYD-MAX
05-09-2007, 16:32
Their is a big difference pulling an enclosed trailer of that size versus a flat deck trailer. I pull a 35' enclosed race trailer with our 02 with a Kennedy programed ecm,Kennedy 4in exhaust and the best I have seen is around 11mpg. 14mpg just seems a little high from my experience with our 02 and my 05. Just my 2cents:)

Ramster21
05-13-2007, 00:24
With a GVW of 22,170 I got 14 mpg.
Love the power of this Duramax, and still able to pass people.
No temp issues. The tow/haul feature performed flawlessly.
I still can't stop grining:D
Especially with a 6yd dump trailer loaded with about 7yd of wet pit run gravel. Yes, I got the scale tickets and the guy at the scale was shocked.
Especially after my 8th trip.:cool: