PDA

View Full Version : Truck Starts but won't continue to run

Pat97
03-31-2005, 20:38
I went out to start my truck and it starts, revs up to about 1500 rpms and just dies. Lots of white smoke. It is a 97 6.5 The glow plugs seem to be working, I can hear the relay turn on and off and the light on the dash works normally. The lift pump runs when I turn on the key as it should. I opened up the drain on the front of the engine and with the key on fuel came out without any air. I have the FSD remotely mounted on the inner fender with a cooler I got from Kennedy. I did a search but didn't find anything that seemed to match. New batteries last fall and I did replace the fuel filter about 300 miles ago without any trouble till now. Anybody have any ideas where I should start. Thanks
Pat

markmartin
04-01-2005, 05:37
I have a similar problem with me 94 6.5 . After letting my truck sit at a paint shop for 10 days I had some trouble getting it to run, Thought it was a fuel leak off problem but it finally died completely and wouldnt hit a lick. I bought a new PMD and installed it and it ran immediatly and has been running since. occassionally on start up, it will run for about 10 seconds or so and when I try to take off and drive it, it will stall and then is hard to start. What you said about your fuel pump and the front of the motor.....IF things are right with the fuel pumping system, with key on and motor not running should I get fuel at the air screw at the front of the motor? I really want to get this truck ironed out, I love it.... but I am worried about the reliability of it and I travel a couple of hours away from home weekly and dont want to get stranded. Thanks

Dvldog 8793
04-01-2005, 06:01
Howdy
sounds like it could be a pass key theft deterent thing. I'm not sure what years they used it but I have had similar problems with my '99. Check w/ local dealer to find out what the clearing method is for your year truck and give it a try.
Good luck!
L8r
Conley

Iain
04-01-2005, 06:03
Lots of white smoke would mean that it is not combusting properly, perhaps water in the fuel? Did you fill up recently? This may not be the problem but always check the obvious first....

JohnC
04-01-2005, 07:27
Does it rev up to 1500 on its own? If so, uncommanded acceleration will trigger the PCM to shut it down. Get your DTC codes read. (yeah, tough if you can't drive it...) Could be Fuel solenoid or (gasp) FSD.

Pat97
04-01-2005, 12:47
I haven't put any fuel in for a about a month, so that shouldn't be a problem. I don't have a theft deterent key. Tomorrow morning I am going to hook up the PMD that is still mounted on the pump. Could be my FSD. It is about 3 years old. Don't know if the PMD is any good anymore. Can't hurt to try I guess. If that doesn't show anything I will have to try to read the codes. If there are any codes should the check engine light come on? I haven't seen this come on. Thanks for the help.
Pat

Barry Nave
04-02-2005, 04:06
No fuel in a month. Weather temps are changing. Not using fuel for awhile, I'd start using biocide. My truck is garaged,heated,goes through warm and cooled cycles and I know I have to use the biocide plus,Just my 2c, have always use Power Service in the White Can. Winter, Gray in warmer temps. Take care of the fuel ;)