PDA

View Full Version : Factory Rear DVD player

tinstar
05-07-2007, 22:40
Has anyone added this option themselves?
If so, what was the price and was it easy/hard to install?
Is the truck prewired?
I want to install one on my 06 GMC Sierra CrewCab SLT

Thanks

Dakster
05-08-2007, 19:00
Since the full time techs haven't jumped in yet, I'll share my info. This is from my local dealer, who could be wrong although I figured out myself that most of it should be accurate.

The first is that there are several different variations of the factory radio and not all can play a dvd. So you would possibly need to switch out the radio. (I agree with him on this) Next is getting the correct headliner (maybe), wiring harness and of course the actual unit. (agree) Then you need someone to reprogram your computer so the truck knows you have it for it to work. (Don't know - can a tech chime in?)

After all is said and done, I do believe it would be easier and cheaper to buy the LIST $1900 headrest system that is designed to plug into any factory radio. (It is a GM factory accessory) and either install yourself or pay the dealer the three hours labor to put it in. My dealer was willing to do it for $2k...

tinstar
05-09-2007, 20:53
Whew!
You mentioned a couple of things that I didn't think of.
I think I will either do the same thing you did or wait until next year and include it in a new truck.

Thanks