PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler ????

keplinger78
05-08-2007, 10:34
Hello,

Is the only reason to use an intercooler is the fact that 10 degree in incoming air is about 1 hp????,Or will this also decrease the EGT.Do any of you out there have any pics of an intercooler install on the 6.5??? I saw on Kennedys site that the turbo was pointing down now...can you unbolt the outer peice and just turn in down so you can connect the intercooler it the system. I have worked with Turbos before....92 GMC Typhoon 4.3 it will spank most Mustangs,vettes,and camaros stock.It has a watercooled intercooler.

Later Tom K.

DmaxMaverick
05-08-2007, 10:54
The main purpose is to lower EGT's. The added power is a bonus. The intercooler allows for higher fuel and boost rates for longer sustained times, because the EGT's are reduced and more controllable.

Chicago TDP
05-09-2007, 09:27
The gain to adding an intercooler to a 6.5 is tremendous and will make the engine run cooler and lower the EGT's significantly.

keplinger78
05-10-2007, 09:17
Hello,

Thanks for the replys,I'm going to use my 93 as a work truck,but still want it to haul azz...I want to put a 4" exhaust and aftermarket air filter(when I get the cash)Hope the tranny is done today....I'm sure that's not going to be cheap...Complete rebuild,new converter,new cooler,all sensors etc.

Thanks Tom K.

cshade
05-14-2007, 23:00
I bolted a k&n type filter from autozone straight to the turbo, then put a smaller k&n type filter to the egr...not smog legal, but a 35 dollar shade tree intake was hard to pass up. I'm looking for a 3" 90 degree aluminum angle pipe so I can re-attach the egr, but not that hard :o