PDA

View Full Version : Locking Fuel Cap for 07 C3500 Classic Dually

bryan86406
05-08-2007, 10:53
My friend Kim is picking up her new 07 Classic 3500 Duramax Dually and she has told me GM has no locking fuel cap as an accessory. She said the filler door is not locking, either. I checked Stant, on their website, but no application. Does anyone know who makes a locking fuel cap for this model? With fuel costs what they are she prefers to keep her fuel to herself. Any leads?

DmaxMaverick
05-08-2007, 11:20
Just try to syphon the fuel from the tank. You might get a quart. The pipe routing prevents syphoning. A real concern might be vandalism (foreign matter in the tank), which a locking fuel cap may prevent. Nowadays, fuel thieves just punch a hole in the bottom of the plastic tanks and use RV waste transfer tanks. It's too easy, and takes 1/2 the time. If you DON"T have a locking cap, maybe they'll waste their time trying to syphon the fuel. If that's all they do, all you lose is the fuel, if they get any.

tbrowne
05-09-2007, 13:20
Locking fuel caps don't offer any security anyway. They are easily defeated. A person with a screwdriver can get into the tank just as fast as a person with a key.

D_R_C
05-09-2007, 16:33
My friend Kim is picking up her new 07 Classic 3500 Duramax Dually and she has told me GM has no locking fuel cap as an accessory. She said the filler door is not locking, either. I checked Stant, on their website, but no application. Does anyone know who makes a locking fuel cap for this model? With fuel costs what they are she prefers to keep her fuel to herself. Any leads?

If the cap has threads and I think it does then check out a locking gas cap for something like a 79 Chevy 4X4 truck.
The vent pressure should be pretty close but check out the specs. first.
And most theives usually will keep walking if they see something locked.

DmaxMaverick
05-09-2007, 16:47
If the cap has threads and I think it does then check out a locking gas cap for something like a 79 Chevy 4X4 truck.
The vent pressure should be pretty close but check out the specs. first.
And most theives usually will keep walking if they see something locked.

You can't use a gasser cap on your Diesel. The venting is backwards, and usually results in airlocking the pump/injectors, among other possible damage.

Stant makes a Diesel locking cap. Get the part # from their website, then go searching for a supplier. Autozone, Napa, Kragen can get them, but don't rely on their application chart.

D_R_C
05-09-2007, 17:01
You can't use a gasser cap on your Diesel. The venting is backwards, and usually results in airlocking the pump/injectors, among other possible damage.

Stant makes a Diesel locking cap. Get the part # from their website, then go searching for a supplier. Autozone, Napa, Kragen can get them, but don't rely on their application chart.

I trully don`t know about that part, but I used one on my 03 Ford 6.0 diesel with out issues for several months until I finally found one from Ford.
And then I put the locking cap back on my 79 chevy it use to set a lot with out much gas.
Of course we are talking Ford P.S. diesel not Duramax, and the only reason I suggested this is I did it.

Dakster
05-09-2007, 18:56
I can tell you right now that Ford uses the same gas cap from a Taurus, Crown Vic, F150, F350 Diesel. It is all the same... I have switched them around without a problem. Chevy on the other hand may just be a different story. The only reason I like locking gas caps is that it stops people from ADDING stuff to your tank.

We recently had a case in Miami where a lady went into a department store and a guy added water to her tank. She was smart enough to notice it and when her car broke down about 1/4 mile away she called the police immediately. The guy was going to do who knows what to her and he ran away when he saw the police coming.