PDA

View Full Version : Tranny temp gauge install

LanceW
11-28-2003, 11:37
What's involved in installing a tranny temp gauge sending unit? Is there a T fitting that goes inline with the cooler hoses, or will I need to drill and tap? Is there any big trick to running the line up to the A-pillar? I've finally decided to add a set. I'm not totally worthless but would love to know what I'm getting into.

Thanks,

Lance

mhagie
11-28-2003, 17:10
Here's what I did,from Summit Racing I ordered a B&M tranny drain plug kit It has 1/8 NPT plug which I discarded and replaced with the sending unit for my electric tran temp gauge.
Installed kit 2/3 way down on side of tranny pan on my 4L460 it was drivers side yours may be different.
If you are due for a filter change you can't find a better time to install gauge. :D
P.S. Some will argue that the best spot is where trany cooler line enters rad cooler, if that be your choice get a 1/4 brass tee use a 1/4 nptX5/16 compression fitting on each side of tee use a 1/4 X 1/8 reducing bushing on top of tee cut a small section out of cooler line and you in biz.
Both of these designs will work, your call on which you like best.

Merle

Scooby
11-28-2003, 20:08
I put a trans temp gage in my 83 mud truck with a turbo 400 trans. I welded a nut that came in the trans gage kit in the drivers side of the pan. I works, but I know I get a higher than true reading due to the exhaust being close to the trans. I wrapped the sensor with some insulation, and foil tape to try to get a truer reading. It usually warms up to around 180 running down the road. WHen I am playing around in the mud with it, I stop to let it cool when it gets to about 230. I have ran it as high as 250 though, when I am just having too much fun to quit !! I am running Amsoil synthetic fluid, which my trans rebuilder highly recommended. I thought the kit would come with some sort of "t", but it didnt. If you do put it in your pan, try to keep it away from exhaust pipes. I couldnt with mine unless I put it in the rear, and I didnt want it there. ;)

LanceW
11-29-2003, 05:41
Thanks for the help, gentlemen.

TurboDiverArt
11-29-2003, 21:13
I took a different tact with my racecar. Summit sells a remote filter kit with a gauge and sender. I think the total kit is something like $90. You get the gauge, sender and a remote trans filter. You splice it inline with trans line. Your choice if you want it pre-cooler or post-cooler. I believe it's a "be-cool" kit, uses a small block Chevy filter I believe and gauge reads to 300 degrees. Depending on what type or line pressure you are planning to run you may need to run a race filter as I think the standard Chevy oil filter is only rated for 100 psi.