PDA

View Full Version : Brown smoke when I dump the throttle??

rameye
05-09-2007, 06:53
I just finished a pretty major overhaul ( for me anyway)of the fuel system/cooling/timing chain. The truck has not run better!

When I dump the throttle she gives me a pretty big puff of brownish smoke. The thing takes off like like a rocket ship!! However it never did this (smoking puff) in the past...and it never moved out of its own way either!

It has a tank of the old normal sulfur content fuel in it.

I have the timing set at 1.07 I was debating going back to the factory .50-.79...could this be the cause??

Or, it runs terrific just let it be??

Thanks for your thoughts..

Tom

Robyn
05-09-2007, 08:12
Well as long as the sucker is not rattling like an unhappy power stroke I would leave it be.

As for the brown smoke I think what you are seeing is the exhaust system giving up all the acumulated crud that was in it.
Take the sucker out and romp it real good and you should see this go away in a while.

rameye
05-09-2007, 09:24
Robyn, it does rattle alittle more than it used to..but it is not outta control rattle. I did the base timing at 3.5 and TDC learned it @ .50, .79. and 1.02 or close to it . No sig rattle change.

I'm assuming the little bit more rattle is due to the new injectors and maybe that the valves are opening and closing accurately coupled with the fact that pump can now fire when its supposed to.

It is very stout right now...I think its due to the chain. :)

When I test fired it with the bad injectors, I most certainly must of filled the exhaust with fuel...it was running, barely, puffing thick black acrid smoke at idle.

I'll leave it be...thanks for the voice of experience.