PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 sleeve installation

simon
05-09-2007, 10:14
I found a 506 block with no cracks but one cylinder bore is damaged to the point that only a dry sleeve will get it back to standard, it melted a piston in # 7 bore that ate a circulair groove 2 " long and 1.5 mm deep at the top ring limit.

Did anyone had succes with sleeving a bore and do they last?

My machine shop says " no problem"

I am not that sure

More Power
05-09-2007, 11:50
The #8 hole in our 6.5TD Project (http://www.thedieselpage.com/finale.htm) engine was sleeved due to excessive cyl taper using a .140 wall cast iron sleeve. There's not a problem with sleeves if the machinist does a good job.

I spoke with a major rebuilder of Navistar engines a few years ago. He told me that they sleeve every cyl of every 6.9 and 7.3 they remanufacture because of the cavitation erosion problem these engines had.

Jim

Chicago TDP
05-09-2007, 12:36
and of course, the sleeve material used is FAR superior of the material used in the block.

My buddy has a vintage race engine, a limited production 427 in his vette, that has 7 sleeves in it. Seems he likes to melt pistons a lot but the block is so rare he spends the money to get it sleeved due to it rareness.

redbird2
05-09-2007, 18:09
I have several 6.5 run with sleeves and some have over 100,000 on them never could tell they where fixed, I did a 6.9 for a customer 8 or 9 years ago that had the #8 cylinder cracked burning anti-freeze the pull a 32' camper 5th wheel all ovet the US and now have 225,000 and has never used an anti-freeze and runs great to this day.
I would sleeve one and not even give it a second thaught if my machine shop felt ok with doing it of course I've had this guy doing work for me for over 25 years so I out a lot of faith in him.

simon
05-09-2007, 19:03
You Guy's put my mind at ease about sleeving.

I know it is common practise as a repair and some diesels have them as a standard feature.

but with the 6.5 having a hot running problem espessially in #7 and 8 i felt a sleeve would transfer less heat to the block and agravate the problem.

thanks Simon