PDA

View Full Version : Convert to Non-EGR

robertb6963
05-09-2007, 16:44
How would I go about converting a 94 6.5 to non-EGR?

I am throwing codes: 32 and 45
Just replaced injectors and now the truck is surging and when it is in gear it jumps like I put the pedal to the floor, aslo misses out...even more after i get on it hard. Autozone wanted $200 for an EGR. I read somewhere on the forum there was a way around it, but wasn't too clear. I need to install clear fuel lines....

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

simon
05-09-2007, 19:12
Maybe you have other non egr related issues.
But you can change the intake manifold to a J model, it bolts right on.

I have a 95 that i changed over, I just put a plug in the vacuum line by the solenoid. I don't get no codes what so ever, but a 94 might behave different.

robertb6963
05-10-2007, 05:50
Can I just unplug it?

simon
05-10-2007, 10:23
Can I just unplug it?

What you mean by that.

If you want to eliminate the egr valve, you either have to modify the intake and cover' lot of work' or get a intake manifold from a non egr engine.

robertb6963
05-10-2007, 17:54
So no quick/cheap fix?
So do but do the EGR codes have anything to do with the truck running poorly, maybe? I can't seem to find any clear fuel line hose anywhere, so I don't know if I'm getting air in the lines.

Truck still missing out.....will check vacuum lines/fuel lines/etc.
Update on the way....hopes this helps someone

damork
05-10-2007, 19:45
Been running for 9 years with the vacuum hose plugged off and no problems. You can buy a different intake, but it is not necessary. I toyed with the idea of installing non-egr intake gaskets once - they don't have the egr passages, but simply blocking off the vacuum line works very well on my 95, and there are no codes to deal with. I run boost to 12 psi (chipped) and have no smoke problems. When the egr was connected I was blowing smoke and had strange behavior at 1400-1500 rpm - engine liked to surge.

robertb6963
05-10-2007, 21:26
Is that the only hose to be plugged?

I ask too many questions!!!

simon
05-11-2007, 19:23
Yes that is the only line

My understanding was you wanted to eliminate the egr.

maybe you should take the cover of and have a look see how badly things are clogged up there, if the egr valve has failed it might be stuck open or just fluttering up and down with the exhaust gasses blowing in the intake.
you don't want that.

byte
07-26-2007, 21:18
hello... at DSG they have a frost plug that can be drove down the egr hole in the intake... and then block off the vacuum line... or use non-egr intake gaskets!