PDA

View Full Version : Converting from Electronic to Mechanical Fuel Injection

Ed2000
05-09-2007, 20:19
I have a question for the group, I currently own a 1996 suburban 6.5TD, which I have listed for sale in the classified section (see details). I have decided to sell it only because I have no alternative, or diesel shop in my area with the capability to fix my vehicle. I would like to replace the 4L80E transmission to a 700 R4, and convert the engine to a mechanical fuel injection pump, the DB2-4911. Its my understanding that it will require changing the existing fuel lines to the injectors, etc. There may be some other modifications required. Is there anyone out here that has converted their 6.5TD as I am wanting to do? Can someone in the S.E. help me with this conversion, please? If I can find someone to do this, I am willing to make the investment, but with someone knowledgeable with this conversion, who has already done several, and will guarantee their work. Any suggestions, or recommendations from the group would be appreciated! I live 2 hrs from Atlanta, GA, and would have to trailer the vehicle to the shop. The transmission has no reverse, and burned up pretty bad. Thank you all for any help! Ed, Murphy, NC

BiggR
05-10-2007, 07:47
Bobbie Martin sells a DB2 Conversion Guide that teaches you how to convert your DS4 to a DB2 using GM parts and keeping your 4L80E, I have one of these books and they are very detailed, although i've never converted mine! The E-Mail address he lists in the book is: mini1275@bellsouth.net.

Hope this helps!!!

Bigg R

Ed2000
05-11-2007, 05:38
Bobbie Martin sells a DB2 Conversion Guide that teaches you how to convert your DS4 to a DB2 using GM parts and keeping your 4L80E, I have one of these books and they are very detailed, although i've never converted mine! The E-Mail address he lists in the book is: mini1275@bellsouth.net.

Hope this helps!!!

Bigg R

Thank you for the post. I think that I will be replacing the 4L80E with a 700R4, because I just blew-up my 4L80E. The replacement rebuild locally for the 4L80E is $1,500, and the rebuild for a 700R4 is only $500.00. I do not pull with my suburban, its only a large family cowboy Cadillac for the family...LOL Therefore, I am considering going totally mechanical. I really want to keep my suburban for a safety issues with regards to my family when they're on the road. My family and I were involved in a near fatal accident with a Honda Accord, and never again I said would I trust a small vehicle. The loss of fuel economy is worth my family's security. Although, living where I live in the NC mountains, there is no one here that will even attempt to help me when my truck has problems because of all the electronic sensors, and EFI. Therefore, I hope my switch to mechanical will give me some years of trouble free road miles. I own a 7.3L 1 ton Ford pickup and she has been very reliable since 1993, and never have had to replace the pump to date.

Thank you

Ed