PDA

View Full Version : Wtb New/used Gm8 Turbo

j_k_auto
05-10-2007, 22:41
I think my turbo needs to be replaced. I will be checking it out this weekend to see if the wastegate is truly shot. Anyone got one?

thanks joe

bbtlr3
05-12-2007, 21:57
What are they saying is wrong with your waste gate? While I was in Iraq I had a mechanic tell my wife that we needed a new Turbo, that they were going to try and charge me $1200 for, because my waste gate was froze up. I got home on R&R and checked the waste gate and sure enough it didn't move without some "persuasion". Once I broke it free, which didn't take too much a pair of pliers and a little wiggle back and forth, I pulled the turbo and removed the exhaust side. I lubed the waste gate shaft with WD40 and just kept working it back and forth by hand. Cleaned some carbon out that probably wasn't affecting anything but it made me feel better. Once I had full range of motion put it back together and it has worked beautiful ever since. This is on a GM-4 with 240k miles on it. Just some food for thought before you go spending too much money.

j_k_auto
05-12-2007, 23:36
Thanks for the imput on this issue.;)

Check it out and tell me what you think.
here is the link

http://www.putfile.com/j_k_auto

bbtlr3
05-14-2007, 00:35
It looks like the waste gate shaft is pretty worn and has alot of play. Mine didn't have any play in it hardly at all. It might be time for a new one.