PDA

View Full Version : Hard to start warm?????

keplinger78
05-11-2007, 05:04
Hello All,

Just got the truck back yesterday from the tranny rebuild:D .Almost$1,800:eek: .But it seems to be 100% now.Stoped at Taco-bell and ate when we can back out it took forever to get it to start.I put a new glowplug controller on it,but it was still warm.It done this once before,just cooled down and fired right back up???My first diesel..so still learning...may-be injectors???
By the way 1993 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 4L80E and no codes.

Thanks Tom K.

daustin
05-11-2007, 05:35
The '92-93 use the 4911 IP and they are known to have hard hot start problems. Check the ID plate, see if it's black - might be in need of an upgrade/rebuild on it.
Don

keplinger78
05-11-2007, 12:21
The '92-93 use the 4911 IP and they are known to have hard hot start problems. Check the ID plate, see if it's black - might be in need of an upgrade/rebuild on it.
Don

I had hoped no one would say that....just more money!!!What do they do when they go out....just not start??? Because I'm very low on cash for this thing....Tranny killed me.:(

Thanks Tom K.

gmctd
05-11-2007, 17:28
Post the color of the Stanadyne model # tag - may be good news.

keplinger78
05-12-2007, 13:05
Post the color of the Stanadyne model # tag - may be good news.

The tag is Black,4911 There are other number but they are hard to read.Here's what I can see....10183901 and 7341576.If I need more info I'll try to get pics and the order they are in etc...the truck is a 93 and has 285K.

Thanks Tom K.

Eduardo
05-12-2007, 14:02
I had the same problem on my old 6.2 before I sold it, and also in my current 1993 1 Ton Chevy Cheyenne. Whenever I stopped for a couple of hours, or whenever the weather was warm, the darn thing would not start. I found that the glow plugs relay would not energize when the engine temperature (or the weather) was still warm. The problem went away after I installed a relay in parallel with the glow plug controller so that I could feed 12V to the plugs manually. I have not had a problem since.

I must clarify that I installed the manually energized relay when I upgraded to Kennedy's glow plugs, because those plugs need to be energized for longer time to generate sufficient heat for the engine not to smoke while starting. I might add that I would not have gone that way if I still had installed the stock 6V glow plugs, as I know they disintegrate (and swell) if energized for 15 seconds (I tested this with the old ones I removed some time ago).

gmctd
05-13-2007, 21:26
Black is not good news unless it has a small green aluminum tag on one of the top screws - if none, time for a rebuild.

The black tag 4911's are known for hot-start problems, requires upgrade with new head and rotor - green tag would indicate the upgrade had been done.

BamaChief600
05-14-2007, 21:05
I seem to have this problem also. It acts like it is out of fuel when I try to start the truck. I was also wondering does the fuel tank build up pressure? Mine seems to swoosh when I take the cap off. Im not sure if it is supposed to be a vented cap. I have the dreaded black tag stanadine so whats the cost of a rebuild?

O btw new to post.... I have looked at some stuff as a guest but decided to join. I have worked on Diesels before, but military types and limited big trucks.

gmctd
05-15-2007, 06:45
Welcome to the 'Page, Bama........

The fuel cap is vented for 1psi and 2"vacuum - the empty area of the tank above the fuel level creates more or less volume at release - will usually have pressure in warm weather as fuel expands, vacuum in cold weather as fuel contracts - fuel returned to the tank from the IP can be around 140degF

The black tag DB2's had excessive head\rotor clearances from new, increasing with mileage accumulation - internal leakage prevents pumping to injection pressure when hot - pumps with standard clearances survived, those with excessive clearances were replaced at increasing hard start event - all pumps wear, with hard start as one of the symptoms.

JohnC
05-15-2007, 11:35
Careful, guys, the '94 DS4 has pretty much nothing in common with the '93 DB2.