PDA

View Full Version : Way too much oil

Red-eyed Duramax
05-13-2007, 08:17
Took my 06 to a well known auto shop to have a complete service done. When it was time to pick up service manager told me the KID over fill my oil a little bit and it made a little mess. They did clean most of it that you could see. But when I started it smoke a little. But when I pulled out of the parking lot it went to full throttle no past full throttle. I turned the key off and it still kept running. As a matter of fact I opened the door and I kept running. Thought she was going to blow. Once it shut down I opened the hood and oil was pouring out of air cleaner. Checked the dip stick and the level was where it was supposed to be. Luckly I was 2 blocks from the service center.
Has anybody in here ever had this happen to them.

Mark Rinker
05-13-2007, 09:39
The runaway engine was caused by the fumes getting sucked into your intake, and auto-igniting once the engine was warmed up enough. Depending on how bad this was, internal engine damage could have occured. It sounds bad enough to me if you had time to exit the vehicle and run.

I would guess that they used a flammable solvent of some sort to clean under the hood, after spilling oil on your engine. Possibly they used the same to clean your air filter? Do you have an oiled-gauze K&N filter? Another possiblity is oil vapors burning off hot exhaust manifolds. That would account for the smoke after startup, and could be enough in extreme cases to auto-ignite if your intake is sucking air from under the hood.

Have a lawyer thoroughly document this occurance on their legal letterhead, and mail it to the shop owner certifed mail with return receipt, signature required. Make it clear that any unusual engine failure in the future involving reciprocating assembly (rods, pistons, crankshaft, or valvetrain) failure will be his responsibility. Maybe he'll think twice in the future having a KID service your 40K vehicle for $90/hour.

This happened to me with my first 6.5L diesel, while pouring SeaFoam (flammable petroleum distillates) into the intake air charge to clean things up before an oil change. BAD IDEA. Turns out it says right on the can NOT to pour into diesel engines... RTFD.

DmaxMaverick
05-13-2007, 10:08
Your engine was running away and your filter was soaked because your crankcase vents into the intake. On a warm engine, the oil will burn just as well as #2, and w/o a trottle, will run away just like it did until the oil is used up, or the soaked filter choked it. It must have been very overfilled to cause this.

You need to take the truck to a dealer on the shop's tab. They need to inspect it and confirm no damage. If you don't, GM could deny a warranty claim later because of this. Any damage would be at the expense of the shop that did the oil change.

Mark Rinker
05-13-2007, 17:39
Wow...how many quarts of oil would it take to be THAT overfilled?