PDA

View Full Version : 6.5's in Australia

More Power
05-14-2007, 11:29
Here's an email I received today from member Leo Wignell, who lives in AU and has been in the 6.5 business for a long time. They have installed the 6.5 in all manner of vehicles - from Ford pickups to Toyota Landcruisers and Nissan Patrols. I forwarded his contact info to another member recently who also lives in Australia, and wanted more conversion info. I'm always amazed by the ingenuity of those in other countries who don't have the access to parts we do here. Those who attended the 2001 Rendezvous in Ohio may have met Leo there. :)

Hi Jim,

Thank you for your letter and your information that you sent to Douglas MacLennan . He has contacted me by phone and is coming to see me in the next couple of months to have a test drive of one of my vehicles. We also sent him our information.

We are, at the moment, doing a 6.5 turbo into a very early Toyota Landcruiser tray. We put a 6.5 in quite a few years ago onto the original Toyota transmission but it kept letting the customer down, so we have modified the vehicle extensively and used an auto this time. We used a Ford C6 behind the 6.5 (because they are extremely common in Australia and were used in the Ford F-Series) we fitted a U.S. Gear overdrive behind that to a Toyota late model transfer case and it should be finished in the next few weeks.

The other vehicle we are doing is in a short wheel base Nissan Patrol, using a 6.5 with our turbo kit - an extremely tight fit. We had to raise the body about 2" and move the original transmission back about a similar amount. It has only just come back from having the exhaust fitted, so in the next week we will have the finishing touches and it will be gone.

Please keep in touch

Regards, Leo Wignell