PDA

View Full Version : 6.5TD lifter source?

RT
05-14-2007, 21:14
Hello All,
I have 248K on my 93 6.5TD and the lifters have been tapping on cold startup for a while. This used to go away within a few minutes but recently there is one lifter that is tapping louder than ever. It will eventually go silent but it takes a while. Is there a preferred TDP source for lifters, etc? How much do they cost? I figure just install 16 new lifters and replace the plastic rocker keepers while I am there. Thanks, RT

More Power
05-14-2007, 21:25
Try www.peninsulardiesel.com (http://www.peninsulardiesel.com) for any engine component.

As a point of interest, I'm told the Navistar 6.9 & 7.3NA used the same lifters as the 6.2/6.5.... :)

Jim

Robyn
05-15-2007, 08:42
Lifters for these little beasties are available at just about any parts house.

Getting the lifters out once the top is off can be a bit tricky with the heads on but its doable.

Try changing the oil and running a quart of tranny fluid with the oil and see if this helps.

Just replace one quart of the regular oil with the ATF at the change and filter.

You have got one lifter thats probably got the check valve sticking.

The very high detergent in the ATF very well might heal it.

I have filled engines with all ATF and run them a few minutes to clean them out.

Just at an idle wont hurt a thing. (Dont go cruising around though)

ATF is about a 7wt oil.

I use this trick on an engine that has lost a head gasket and got Glycol in the system.

This stuff will clean the sucker out slick as a whistle.

Fill, run a bit and drain and then refill with regular oil and a new filter.

Good luck

Robyn

RT
05-15-2007, 19:47
Thanks! RT

robertb6963
05-15-2007, 20:47
Fill, run a bit and drain and then refill with regular oil and a new filter.

Robyn

How long is a bit? 100 miles or so?