PDA

View Full Version : IP air bleeding

dandl
08-28-2005, 11:51
Just finished removing my DS4 for rebuilding.
After I install my IP and all those lines, can
I bleed off the air before I put the intake back
on. Somebody tell me something.

DChristie
08-28-2005, 16:34
Just so you don't feel ignored, I'll pipe in.

Others will too, soon I'm sure.
When I changed my pump I simply bolted it back together completely and put the trans in D and turned the key. That pressed fuel up to the IP, after that, I put it back in park and cranked it up. I had to crank it three or four times about twenty seconds each. It fired up, and I let the air work itself out of the system. It was a little angry at first, but cleared up quickly. Then I had it timed. It has been clattering away happily ever since. :D

Hope this helps and encourages you. smile.gif

DChristie

rlvelin
08-29-2005, 09:26
When I did mine both times (once with old pump on new engine, next with new pump) I had to crack all of the driver side lines at the injectors and the front passenger side (those are the easy ones to get at). It could not overcome the compressability of the air in the system to pop the injectors just by cranking it.

It might have started from just cranking when I only replaced the pump but it was pretty easy to just crack most of the lines, crank for about 15 seconds until fuel seeps from all the cracked lines, then tighten lines and fire up.

A helper works good for this task but is not required.

rameye
08-29-2005, 14:48
I jumped the fuel pump and let it run for 15-20 minutes then cracked 2 lines and it fired up in about 5 revolutions.

ouila!

dandl
09-03-2005, 16:58
got my 1996 6.5 turbo running today, installed
a rebuilt IP from Mid South Diesel out of Memphis
TN, new lift pump and oil pressure switch, I did
the same as DChriste, put it all together and fired it up, now i have to visit my GM dealer to
get it timed, runs pretty good though, I wonder
who the idiot or genious was who made those damn
injector lines. Thanks for the help

rameye
09-04-2005, 01:32
yeah..hooking them to the IP is one serious bummer!!

Kennedy
09-04-2005, 05:05
No need to bleed it. You would do well to run the lift pump and prime/purge the pump itself, but it will start w/o bleeding the lines.

dandl
09-04-2005, 18:01
i used the lift pump to purge air from the fuel
filter and into the IP, had to crank engine
about three times until it ran OK, just can't get
that darn heat shield back in under the turbo, maybe it will run without it for a while