PDA

View Full Version : Isuzu Truck disposal

More Power
05-15-2007, 10:32
For immediate release:

ISUZU TO DISPOSE OF 110 TRUCKS FROM CAR-CARRYING SHIP COUGAR ACECERRITOS, Calif. Isuzu Commercial Truck of America, Inc. (ICTA) will scrap 110 medium duty N-series trucks that were aboard the Cougar Ace, a car-carrying vessel that developed a list over 60 degrees in July 2006 off the coast of Alaska. Isuzu gives top priority to the quality and safety of the trucks we put into the hands of commercial users around the world, said Makoto Kawahara, ICTA President and COO. Because vehicles aboard the Cougar Ace remained on the affected ship for a considerable period of time, we couldn

trbankii
05-15-2007, 11:21
So, does this mean that they are available? Wish I was out on the left coast...

DmaxMaverick
05-15-2007, 14:04
So, does this mean that they are available? Wish I was out on the left coast...

According to the release, they are being scrapped (dismantled, recycled?) so they won't reach the road. A very responsible course of action by a manufacturer.

More Power
05-15-2007, 14:55
My guess is the cabs (with the VIN tag) will be removed, then parts or large subassemblies will be sold by whomever becomes the owner (probably a salvage business). Complete rolling chassis would likely be available.

You may also need a salvage license to bid.

Jim

Idle_Chatter
05-15-2007, 18:33
So what did a 60 degree list do to damage these trucks so that they were unsellable? They weren't running. They had to be chained, could it have been stress and strain on the frames caused by "hanging" from the chains?

trbankii
05-16-2007, 08:16
...led to the decision to scrap more than 100 trucks and not sell them as used or damaged vehicles.

[snip]

I guess that the word "vehicles" was what I was missing - that the contact information was implying that they were selling them after they stated that they would not sell them... But selling them as components is a different matter...