PDA

View Full Version : 2007 issues

MSSM
05-15-2007, 22:37
I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum. I posted in another forum earlier today and mentioned that my wife has the new LMM. This is our 5th duramax (I had a 01, 04 and currently have a 06. She had a 03). Anyway, she's had her LMM a week now. The truck is great as far as the power and all that. However.........Friday, she left the house to meet me a 100 miles from home, as she was leaving the house all her gages on the truck just like laid down and all the cluster lights come on. The gages would go right back up and the lights would go off. It was weird, it would either do it constantly or not do it at all. She never lost power, at first. But, when she was coming into the town she was meeting me at the truck shuts down. She pulls over and it starts right back up. She was able to catch the service manager and a tech at the chevy dealer there in town even though they were closed. They hook up to the computer, shows nothing. They couldn't do anything for her since they were technically closed. They did offer her a buick to drive. Thanks, but no thanks. We ended up having to rush our time together so she could get back on the road before it got too late. The truck was acting worse, then got better, then got worse again. Died on her 4 times on the way home. Saturday, she drove it over to the dealer we bought the truck from because their service department is open, or so we thought. But they only do oil changes and that kind of stuff. So they told her to come back Monday, but it acted just fine all the way over there and all the way back. I came home Saturday evening and go to get in it, we were going to try to take it to town to eat, well, the darn thing wouldn't start. So we hop in my truck and go to town. When we got home I tried to start it again and it started right up. Sunday, started fine. So we take it in yesterday morning and it never dies on her, but the gages and lights do their thing. After about an hour they finally figured out what the problem was. The XM antenna had a short in it. They had to order an antenna so they just disconnected the XM until the new antenna comes in and everything was running fine on the way home. We went to the sports banquet at school last night, again, still fine. She didn't go anywhere today during the day, but had to go to another awards program at school today. Ran fine on the way up there (8 miles), BUT, on the way home truck did the gage and light thing again all the way home. Truck had 28 miles on it when she picked it up last Tuesday, now has 728 miles on it. 200 of those miles have been going back and forth to the dealership about this issue. I'm back out of town working, so she will be going back to the dealership again tomorrow and getting this crap straight. We have bought 5 trucks from this dealership in the last 6 years, they better make this right. She just assumes get her 03 back. We'll see what happens and I'll keep y'all posted.

More Power
05-16-2007, 00:02
It's possible a new truck might have an issue with loose battery cables. It'll only take a minute to check them. Your problem sounds like a loose electrical connection.

Jim

MSSM
05-16-2007, 06:06
I hope it's that simple, but all that stuff was checked Monday when she had it in for this same reason.

Mark Rinker
05-16-2007, 06:20
Sounds like a bad ground problem.

DieselMonk
05-16-2007, 11:14
What has the XM antenna to do with the engine? :eek: You can short it all you want and will do nothing else than not lettn you listen to XM anymore. LOL You might as well unplug the fuse for the radio. that doesn't make any sense at all what you said.

More Power
05-16-2007, 12:14
If I were the diesel tech, I'd look at loose battery cables first, then the fuse/junction box for loose or poor connection of relays and fuses. The ground points are all identified in the various manuals - some under the hood, some under the dash. Then I'd look at all of the related electrical conenctors (that would affect the dash and engine running), looking for loose connectors, pushed pins, etc.

Intermittents can be a bear to find, cuz it'll likely work fine for the tech but not the owner. A good tech will devise a strategy to help isolate it.

If you continue to have trouble, I'd take a look at the this link (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=27587) for info on pushing this ongoing service problem up the chain of command with GM.

Jim

MSSM
05-16-2007, 15:27
The whole XM thing didn't make sense to me either, she was having trouble with her XM, she was not able to receive a signal, but she forgot to tell them that and that's what they traced it back to. I thought it was odd too, but figured with all the electronic BS I thought it could be possible that it was jacking with the computer somehow. And, since it didn't do it all the way home from the dealer on Monday (45 miles) after they disconnected the XM, I thought, "OK, I guess that's what the problem was", until last night when it happened again. Anyway, so she takes it in today and they get right on it. She parked her butt in the salesmans office for about an hour. They pulled the tech from the truck and put the shop foreman on her truck and within about 2 hours he finds that there is a loose connection to the computer. They are still going to replace the XM antenna since that is the reason she was not receiving a XM signal. They know that if this problem is not resovled this time that we are taking further action. They have her in a 07 suburban for now.

I totally trust this dealer. We have been using them for over 5 years now and this is our 5th truck in 5 years from them. They treat us right when it comes to service and always make us excellent deals when we buy.

DieselMonk
05-17-2007, 04:58
I am glad that the dealer found the real issue. Saying that a XM antenna will affect the D-Max like that, geeze... that didn't make any sense at all and I would question the knowledge of that tech very hard. Glad you got it sorted out now! :D

SoTxPollock
05-17-2007, 11:21
You know the only way you could have had a loose connection to the computer is for someone to have not completed the closing of the connector.
Those things don't come apart easy when you're trying to get them apart, must have been an oversight at the factory, not checking to see if it was locked in place. Do you know if it had a painted stripe across it, if not it missed inspection at the factory. Hope all goes well now. We all want dependability from our trucks.