PDA

View Full Version : Injector Pump change question

Simon Hodgson
05-16-2007, 11:25
My beloved 94 Chevy needs a new IP. Years ago I added a remote PMD kit under the bumper and have been problem free since then. I now have 170,000 on the original pump and it has given up the ghost. The local Chevy dealer wants $2400 to replace it. They claim it is an 8 hour job. I have looked over the installation of the unit and this time seems a bit excessive. I would appreciate info available on this. Since the dealer only offers a 12/12000 warranty on the part I am tempted to take time off work and do it myself if its not a royal pain to replace.

Robyn
05-16-2007, 13:26
To do the job right requires removal of the intake manifold as well as the fuel liness and then the pump.
There will be some time involved in getting the accessories off and out of the way.

Its a good 8 hours to do it right and keep it all clean and then get it back up and running.

But $2400 could be better spent on other things.

Take your time and pull the sucker apart and get your IP rebuilt.
Just be sure and mark the pump and the front cover with a clean scribe mark.
Once the IP is fresh, simply reinstall with the marks lined up and it will go right back to work for you.
The Computer will do any fine adjustments needed and the little beastie will be sweet.
Be sure and replace the injectors too as they are probably used up as well.

Not a bad job at all just time consuming.

Hope this helps

Robyn

Simon Hodgson
05-16-2007, 16:48
Thanks for the reply. Time is a bit of an issue since it makes it hard to earn $ when the truck is inoperative. After a days worth of calls and a growing uneasiness with the dealers diesel guy I called a few long time diesel owners and got a name of a good injector rebuilding shop. After talking with these people I am much more comfortable and the truck should be back up and running tomorrow. There is a fair possibility that the pump is OK. The Chevy shop replaced the lift pump/ filter and oil pressure switch before claiming that the injector pump "must be bad since it stalled after about a minute of running". The "tech" dismissed the possibility that the stall was due to residual air in the line. I could not get a definitive answer on what tests were run or what error codes came up. I drove it 20 miles to the seemingly more qualified people and it ran great. This is why I prefer working on my own vehicles. :(