PDA

View Full Version : Slightly longer starting cycle

curmudge1
08-29-2003, 09:01
1994 Blazer w/ 6.5 TD. 220K miles, new DS4 pump last fall, new batteries late last fall... seems like it takes a little bit longer to start after it sits overnight; instead of 2-3 seconds (crank...start), it's taking 5-6+ seconds and sorta trying to start before it actually starts. Sorta half-catches a couple of times, then starts. Noticeable, but not scary yet... but, I'd like to figure out what's different & fix/make better before it's a real problem.

Oh, & I've had a stutter/miss on hard acceleration for several months, I think it's the fuel cutoff switch (again!, #3 or 4). But I noticed that way before the starting difference.

steve-r
08-29-2003, 12:36
got a new inj pump last sept on my 94. similar symptoms. had hard starting problems right away...didn't have them before the pump ( my 5th ). dealer said batteries...replaced em. then starter, replaced it...then low compression..even did a compression test claiming 4 cyl at 300, 3 x 320, and 1 at 340....far below the miminum recommended 370. why? my truck had only 110K km's on it, and had never been abused. BS! got some advice from another board, as I suspected the new pump right from the get go...but the dealer wouldn't acknowledge it. pump finally started giving codes this july. went to another dealer and they told me that GM would not honor the inj. pump warranty if my engine was worn out ( poor compression ). i challenged the compression test from the 1st dealer ( it was in my history record for all dealers to see ), so the 2nd dealer re-does the comp. test. finds 4 x 420, 2 x 440, 2 x 460... so GM honors the pump warranty. got my 6th pump. hard start has miraculously gone away. was the FSD all the time or poor pump install job. 1st dealer ate crow. not saying you've got the same issue, but symptoms seem familiar so i thought i'd share.

lupey6.5
08-29-2003, 12:58
new batteries don't mean new connections. especially the side post that has the pos. wire from the other batt. stacked on top of the other.
even if it looks okay i would pull them off pull the red bubber boots of and go to town on them with a wire brush(don't forget the little metal donut) and replace the stud with a brass one, advance auto has the long brass ones you need. then spray the down with that red anti-corosive oil and re-assemble. i had a shop try to tell me that my starter was weak at about 115k, proved them wrong and continue to at 225k. good luck!