PDA

View Full Version : DTC 87 ??

Marty Lau
10-15-2003, 07:34
Well been around the the "page for a number of years and hope I have contributed. I sure have gotten help from here over the years, THANKS everyone and Jim. (MorePower)
My truck has been setting codes for a little while and didn't pull the codes until last night durring an oil change. I got 32, 33, 35 and 87.
The one I am scratching my head over is the 87 "high ratio"........ Which ratio is that? Fuel air? Axel?
I cleared the codes went and got a load of water and got DTC 35. That I have some idea's on how to fix. Any thoughts and help is appreciated.
The ole girl has 153,000 miles and runs pretty good, good power. This truck has been a working truck and has been road hard and put away wet a few times.

Marty Lau
10-15-2003, 11:36
stuck shift valve makes sense. I have had it not shift in to 3rd gear when it's cold. If I either let the truck warm up 2-3 minutes it doesn't do it and if it does (when I just start and drive)I shut down and restart it does then shift. It just started doing it again, Before it did it I changed the transmixer fluid and filter and it was fine for long time, but transmixer needs service now.

ucdavis
10-15-2003, 16:40
If 35 is recurring regularly the IP may be going out. If you start to get 36 with occasional 17 &/or 18 then it's definitely on the way to see its siblings in the hereafter. I wonder if they go up or down when they die? Probably depends on the mileage they gave.

moondoggie
10-16-2003, 03:59
Good Day!

DTC 87 is a tranny code, "High Ratio Error." Will set when:

</font>[list] No DTC 21, 22, 24, 28, 71, 72, or 74;</font> TP &gt; 25%;</font> NOT in P, R, N;</font> rpm &gt; 300;</font> &gt; 7 mph;</font> tranny temp. &gt; 20

Uncle Wally
10-16-2003, 17:18
I just had probs this morning with the trans. 2nd gear only. Takes a while to go 30 miles at 25 mph. It would go faster, but I tried to save her since I would have to do the rebuild.

Pulled the codes when I got home - DTC 39, 87, and 88.

39 is for a stuck TCC
87 is just as Moondoggie describes it
88 is a TDC offset error (I thought I already fixed that one - oh well)

There is some testing that can be done with the a Tech1 scanner. I have yet to do this (early nexy week hopefully). It will tell more as to what is wrong. It could be just a sensor, or it could be catastrophic failure. I kinda doubt catastrophic failure as it worked fine 3 days ago pulling 12k for 500 miles. It was cold this morn, and I didn't warm her up like normal. I'm thinking maybe a teflon seal or a solonoid. 2nd gear is strong as heck too. More later.

Waldo

Marty Lau
10-20-2003, 13:24
Wally;
If you have it stuck in 2nd gear won't shift into 3 and OD try pulling over stopping truck shutting down and restarting. Everytime it did it I didn't warm it up either on a cool morning start and drive off slow to let things warm up and no shift too 3rd. I have had mine do this several times and that will get it to shift up. First time it did this I serviced the transmission and changed fluid and filter and it stopped for 20,000+ miles. I have done some HEAVY towing since and need to service transmission again. In a conversation regarding this with a local Diesel mechanic he recommend the fluid and filter change plus adding two bottles of Lubeguard for transmissions. He said it has helped a number of trucks he works on balky transmissions and he runs it in every auto transmission he drives. He alos told me he in general is not a believer in "snake oils" but thinks the Lubeguard is well worth it. I used a number of years back in a Sable that was balky and it cleared it up until I sold it 2 years later. So, I'm going to give it a roll since I was going to service the transmixer any way.

ToddMeister
10-21-2003, 06:05
If you are throwing code 87 only when starting off when the truck is cold, there is an updated EPROM (chip) available for the PCM. The update increases the high ratio error fault time from 2 to 4 seconds, and raises the threshold temperature to 68 degress F. I had this problem a long time ago with my 95 Chevy 6.5TD. The updated EPROM cured it.

Uncle Wally
10-22-2003, 19:30
16ga,

I tried shuttin it down when it first happened. No luck.

I dropped the pan this last weekend and found a ton of clutch material in the bottom. Way too much for 20k on a trans flush. Luckily there were no large chucks of metal. A couple small slivers, but that was it.

The trans is coming out in the next week or so. I'll know more when I get things apart.

Waldo