PDA

View Full Version : Code P0251

6.5diesel
05-16-2007, 16:47
driving down the road today and service engine soon light came on pulled a P0251 Injection Pump Fuel Metering Control "A" Malfunction (Cam/Rotor/Injector). anyone have an idea on what would cause this.

gmctd
05-16-2007, 18:37
PCM reads Optic Sensor for one pulse per cylinder on Cam Reference ring in Inj Pump, compares that to one pulse per cylinder from Crank Position Sensor - DTC occurs if 8 pulses are missed, will go to Limp Mode if continuous error.

If no reoccurance or occasional, could be intermittent connection - check connectors and grounds

Stratosurfer
12-02-2007, 17:28
I had the same problem today. Was out of town on a trip in the Tahoe and when started after 2 days of rain and heavy fog I started up and got the CE light right off the bat on the trip home. Must have been in limp mode as I couldn't accelerate as usual and shifting a little hard.
About 10 miles into the trip I pulled over and shut down as I suspected the ECU might reset itself upon a shutdown. I unplugged the FSD mounted behind my front bumper and plugged it back in, fired back up and light was on but the problem was solved. I figured the heated up engine cooked off the condensation that was fouling an electrical connector/connection and must have fixed it.
This has happened a few times to me, can anyone tell me which connectors in particular should I be paying attention to, to clean and protect.
Thanks

JFerg65
09-04-2008, 14:00
1996 Suburban 2500 "F" engine
new D-Tech PMD approx 1 month ago.
150,200 miles
I think this is on it's second pump.
I'm guessing original injectors and glow plugs

Just began to pick up this intermittent code. It seems to be resetting itself. It's gone on and off three times in the last month. Initially I thought it was due to replacing my PMD. I put in a new #9 that came with it. After it popped up twice I got to thinking it was metering too much fuel, so I went back to the OEM #5. I was ideling in traffic when the SES light came on this time. Pulled into an auto zone and they pulled the code for me. Started her up and it was once again clear. Not sure if he reset it or not. In the previous times it reset it self.

OK, where to go from here?
I'm going to double check connections. any other suggestions or is this the beginning of something looming in the near future.

I also consistently run run power services as well as 1/2 once of tcwIII 2 cyle per gallon. Been doing this for over a year since I first got the vehicle. So is there a chance it just gulped up some oil that set of the code?

any help would be appreciated.