PDA

View Full Version : TruSpeed from Superlift

1629dill
05-17-2007, 08:38
I have a 1999 Suburban 2500 with a 6.5 TD that I need to get new tires for it. My wife has been complaining about the fact that the current 245/75R16E tires look to small and wants me to purchase larger tires. So now I am going to buy new tires “Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo” (265/75RR16E)

I readed the article “What you need to know before upsizing tires on your Chevy/GMC 2500HD” Written June 2005. And have come to the conclusion that I should be able to do this. I need to purchase a TruSpeed from Superlift.

Now my to my question.

Has any one used the TruSpeed and how hard was it to install and calibrate?

I am also open to suggestion to other ways to correct the speed error with a new tire size.

cabletech
05-17-2007, 14:44
Don't know about the suprlift, but I have the same type of thing from Jet on my 95 Burb and it's easy to install and works great.

http://www.jetchip.com/products.asp?pid=14944

JohnC
05-17-2007, 15:02
You don't need to buy anything, as long as you already own a soldering iron. There was an article here on the DieselPage a while back explaining how to calibrate the VSSB for any tire size. It's probably only available in a reprint booklet, but you also get a whole passle of other interesting stuff for a lot less than the price of one of these boxes. (OK, so you do have to buy something...)

cabletech
05-17-2007, 16:29
99's don't have a VSSB, but the computer can be reprogramed to fix the speedo (much more expensive). You are right about OBD1 models though.

You don't need to buy anything, as long as you already own a soldering iron. There was an article here on the DieselPage a while back explaining how to calibrate the VSSB for any tire size. It's probably only available in a reprint booklet, but you also get a whole passle of other interesting stuff for a lot less than the price of one of these boxes. (OK, so you do have to buy something...)

Dmax son
05-18-2007, 00:04
The 99 does have a vssb, remove the glove box, and underneath the computer is a white box that is the vssb. I went to radio shack and got 2, 8 position dip switch. There are only 14 jumper spots on the vssb, so your going to need to cut 2 dip switches off. Then if you don't want to do soldering take it to an electronic shop and have them remove the jumpers, and solder on the dip switches, it cost me 10 bucks to have this done. Now you can adjust for different tire, and or gear ratio sizes

Bryan

cabletech
05-18-2007, 06:33
Interesting... I was looking at a 98 truck and told by a guy that does 6.5 programing the 96 and newer 6.5s don't have a VSSB. You must either buy a correction unit or have the PCM programed. He must have wanted to sell me a PCM instead of giving me the facts.

Jay

1629dill
05-18-2007, 12:37

The book is on order and the soldering iron is warming!

Thanks

I hope I have a VSSB in my Sub.

JohnC
05-18-2007, 15:51
I hope I have a VSSB in my Sub.

Me too! :o

DennisG01
05-18-2007, 17:14
I have a VSSB in my '98 Suburban. I bought the book and followed the directions a few years ago - Worked great! I think I also received (IIRC) an update to the article that was in the book since the article was for an older style VSSB. I could be wrong with the reasoning, but I know I received an update at no cost.

Dmax son
05-19-2007, 03:17
In 96 when they went to obd2, all the gas motors had the tire and gear ratios in the main computer, but the 6.5 diesel kept the vssb. Click on the link to see my vssb. http://new.photos.yahoo.com/knee_burner/album/576460762324608275