PDA

View Full Version : valve cover breather

willhf1011
05-17-2007, 17:40
is there any advantage to removing the valve cover breather line form the intake? ive been told you can put a breather filter on top of it instead of routing it to the intake and that it will work as well. are there any problems with this method? so in short is it ok to route the breather line to its own mini filter?

Hubert
05-17-2007, 19:01
You can vent it. But most believe its better to reburn the blowby. I have heard engines perform a little better with the crankcase under a bit of vaccum. Not sure if thats only naturally aspirated or what the particular advantage is but the race boys put a vaccum pump on to increase performance.

Only real drawback is an oily residue in intake and can coat intercooler thus reducing cooling. For the normal stock truck its not a real big issue as long as the CDR is functioning correctly.

willhf1011
05-17-2007, 19:39
but if i were to get an aftermarket or custom intake it would be fine if i didnt have it reburning?

Robyn
05-17-2007, 19:40
The crankcase breather system is designed to keep a slightly negative pressure in the engine.
This is done to keep oil leaks to a minimum as well as get rid of the blow by in an environmentaly friendly way (Burn it)

It is best to keep the setup in good order and installed.
There is really no benefit to removing or modifying it.

Hope this helps

Robyn

simon
05-17-2007, 23:49
On a high miler there can be substantial blowby , resulting in high oil use sucked in by the turbo.

Venting the cdr to the environment will eliminate most of the oil use, if the crank seals are good oil leaks should not be a concern.

benefit or damage to the environment is debatable, as in both scenario's oil is wasted and or cause polution.

the alternative would be rebuild, wich also cause oil waste and polution by energie used to create new parts and discard of old parts and supply's.

One can also install a Crank case ventilation filter valve , wich will catch the oil in the blow by and returns it back to the oil.
I think this is the best option
I found one that might work from www.mann-hummel.com/
And intend on installing one myself