PDA

View Full Version : Brake Controller Advice?

Zacc
05-17-2007, 19:09
Who makes the best electronic controller these days? I use a Hayes in the Ford and really like the manual remote for icy conditions but is there something better?

Where are you folks putting the controllers? I have a '07 Classic.

chipper
05-17-2007, 20:01
Who makes the best electronic controller these days? I use a Hayes in the Ford and really like the manual remote for icy conditions but is there something better?

Where are you folks putting the controllers? I have a '07 Classic.

Prodigy, Prodigy, Prodigy.
I have had 3. This is by far the best.

Pewter Max
05-17-2007, 20:24
I also have a Prodigy on my 07 Classic - I had it on my 01 and it works great !!
Mine is mounted directly under the steering column & dash - there was 2 holes already there .
I can't see it where it is unless I lean over but once it is adjusted I don't need to see it .

TheJDMan
05-20-2007, 19:42
Prodigy!!!!!!!

tooltime47
05-22-2007, 18:57
Prodigy here. No problems in 5 years. I took the 5 year old unit and put it in my 07 Classic.

gillguy
05-23-2007, 06:38
But there is nothing wrong with the Hayes that you have.
If I could have found one of those locally, I'd probably have one.

jsmiracle
05-23-2007, 10:02
I have had mine (Tekonsha Prodigy) for about 2 years and like it very much. I had a Reese unit previous to the Prodigy and did not care for it. I bought the adapter wiring kit for the Prodigy to install it (to the left of the steering column, IIRC) on my '05. Installation is quick and easy with the adapter/harness/pigtail thing.

I have not had or felt the need to operate it manually, though.

Take care,
Jim M.

Zacc
05-23-2007, 22:35
My Hayes is still working very well in the Ford but I now need another unit for the Chevy.
Has anybody used the Brakesmart unit? I understand it's expensive but a very good unit. It ties into the hydraulic brake lines shich controlls the electric output. This way there is no lag, the trailer brake comes on exactly the same time as the truck brakes.
I can't find anybody who sells it though.

DZ

MikeC
05-24-2007, 06:40
Prodigy!!

Also you can buy a Draw-Tite that looks identical to the Prodigy. I had both but the Prodigy went with my Suburban when I sold it.

There may be better out there but these are by far the best controllers I have had.

Mike

Colorado Kid
05-24-2007, 08:25
My Hayes is still working very well in the Ford but I now need another unit for the Chevy.
Has anybody used the Brakesmart unit? I understand it's expensive but a very good unit. It ties into the hydraulic brake lines shich controlls the electric output. This way there is no lag, the trailer brake comes on exactly the same time as the truck brakes.

DZ
Zac, with the Prodigy you can select from different "boost" curves. If you want it you can have a whole bunch of trailer brake the instant the brake lights come on . . . it's ugly to drive in traffic that way though. The boost setting changes how the controller acts in the first fraction of a second when the brake lights come on. I usually ran boost 1, which puts about 1/10 of max voltage (if I remeber right) to the trailer brakes initially. If you're really stomping the brakes on the truck the trailer brakes will be at full voltage in about 1/4 second. If you've barely touched them the trailer brakes will be down to 0.1 volts in about 1 second. I ran boost 0 when pulling an empty 16' car hauler, or when in slow moving traffic where the initial tug from the trailer got annoying, but I liked boost 2 when I had a load on that trailer (bumper pull) because just a touch on the brake pedal would get the hit of trailer brakes needed to damp a tail-wag, without my having to steer with my left hand while groping for the controller with my right.

With the "Pull-Off" trailer at 10,000+ lbs. on the bumper I ran boost 3 with the voltage all the way up!

Short of having it already built into the truck (it takes 10 minutes to install including time to read the instructions and find the tools the kids have scatttered all over the shop) or having wheel speed sensors on the trailer so the trailer could have ABS I can't imagine it getting any better.

I feel so strongly about it that when my father-in-law bought a 2003 2500HD to replace his '88 C-2500 and he planned to move his "good enough" 15 year old controller to the new truck I bought the Prodigy and installed it before he could get it done.

gillguy
05-24-2007, 10:30

DZ

Check over on the trailer life forum. Just read a few post on there about the brakesmart.

cowboywildbill
06-07-2007, 05:46
Prodigy is great, but I switched to the Jordon brake and love it.
It is real time and works with a cable to the brake arm, the more you apply your brakes the more it applies the trailer brakes. Works a lot like the old hyd/elec units. Set it and foget it.

Zacc
06-07-2007, 19:53
Prodigy is great, but I switched to the Jordon brake and love it.
It is real time and works with a cable to the brake arm, the more you apply your brakes the more it applies the trailer brakes. Works a lot like the old hyd/elec units. Set it and foget it.

Does the Jordan work on different trailers without major adjustments?

I can't find anybody who sells them or a web site for the manufacturer. Are they still in business?

Ponch
06-09-2007, 08:42
Zacc

The prodigy is a good system but you ask what is the best, that would be brake smart! do you're research. You may not like the price but you will not find a better controler! imho

Ponch

cowboywildbill
06-11-2007, 05:28
I heard they sold the rights to it.I will try to find a web sight for you. Also give ebay a shot for it and check out that smartbrake, if you ca't find a Jordan it might be the ticket also. And yes the Jordan will work on multiple trailers up to three axles. I heard they were redesigning it to work on the new adjustable pedals, I would think they would be selling again by now.