PDA

View Full Version : Car Brake Question

Chris611
04-01-2005, 11:34
I have an unrelated Diesel question. I am hoping that you guys can help me. I changed the brake pads on my wifes '99 Grand AM. I have changed before with no problems. Removed old pads, used an old pad and C Clamp to retract the piston into the caliper, put new pads on, etc. Done. This time I did do a "pad slap" job, as I didn't turn the rotor. She had ground the inner pads to the metal and it was late when I got into the project. I may turn the rotors this weekend. My problem is that now the brake pedal is spongy and there isn't much stopping power. Feels like I have air in the system, but I can't figure out how it got there. I found a site on the internet that said until the pads wear in the pedal may be spongy, but that doesn't make sense. I thought a spongy pedal was air in the system? Any advice on what to check or do?

Thanks

Barry Nave
04-02-2005, 04:27
Open bleader screws when pushing calaper back in.
Bleed, take's awhile, gravity buy letting bleader screws open and watch the leavel.
Works better than any brake method I've seen to get air out.

diesel65
04-02-2005, 08:36
Chris,
You said the inner pad was metal to metal, that created ridges and valleys on the rotor that the pad is trying to bridge, that in turn creates a unstable surface for the pad to clamp onto.
Be careful that you used the new pads on the rough rotor, the pads are getting bedded to match the old surface then when you cut the rotors the brakes will be spongy again.

Chris611
04-02-2005, 12:46
Thanks guys.

Side note: Bnave95, I sent you an email about your WI system. I found an email address for you in a past post about WI. I wondered if you ever got the email as I hadn't heard back from you. Thought maybe I found an old email address. I think it was a comquest or something like that. I would still be interested in talking with you if you don't mind.

Thanks
Chris

Barry Nave
04-02-2005, 17:56
Sorry, I'll CK. Have to many computers. Main one has E-Mail(wife get that one :D )