PDA

View Full Version : checking rear brakes

Shad
10-15-2003, 12:50
Do you aactually need the special tools needed to pull the rear drums to check the brakes (full floater). I realize you need to pull out the axle shafts and loosen the nut in the center to pull out. I haven't pulled them off yet (bought truck in may) to see how things look. The brakes are getting grabby when damp so that tells me I need to at least clean and adjust the shoes. Just wondering about special tools??

Shad

dslpwr
10-15-2003, 14:09
It should slide off.
You may have to back shoes off a bit

HowieE
10-15-2003, 14:27
If you go to backoff the adjuster you will have to slip in a thin screwdriver through the adjuster slot and over the top of the adjuster to push the emergancy brake adjuster off the star wheel. This sounds hard but it's not. If you look in the slot with a light you can see the piece you have to move back to allow the star wheel to rotate backwards.

Shad
10-15-2003, 16:44
Thanks for the replies .I found the view in my manual and see what tool I need now. The special socket to remove the bearing locknut for the drum asm from the axle housing. I dont think I have the socket but can buy one at Farm&fleet. I'll take it apart next days off of work. Thanx

GOT DSL
10-16-2003, 09:10
Autozone has the tool to remove the bearing nut.

tanker
10-16-2003, 15:31
Shad, I'm not sure about a 94, but my 95 has a full floater, and the drums will come off without removing the bearings, it may have some rust but they do come off without removing axles, nuts, and bearings. I do know my 75 full floater needs to have the axle, bearings etc removed to get the hub/drum assy off. Double check before you go to all the work of pulling axles etc. smile.gif