PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Cooler recommendations

HillBilly2
05-19-2007, 14:45
Well I've gotten my suburban on the road with the new 700 tranny. Finally got the TV cable adjusted and everything working properly. I installed a transmission temp gauge with the pickup in the pan, on the road temps are around 200. I thought it might be a good idea to install a transmission cooler just for reliability reasons, do not tow too often with the burb. When I went to look at some they all have the stupid barb connections. I can just see this piece of crappy rubber hose blowing out and leaving me stranded. Does anyone make a cooler with threaded connections so I could use steel lines? Is there any way of adapting an AC condenser for use as a trans cooler? Any other ideas?

Thanks

DmaxMaverick
05-19-2007, 15:00
There's nothing wrong with using the barb fittings and hose. Just be sure it is installed properly and use ONLY ATF hose. Fuel or coolant line will get gooey, swell and blow off at the wrong time. Use stand-off clamps to keep abrasion away, and keep other fluids from dripping on the hose. If you prefer, you can get cores with threaded fittings and plumb it hard. Or run tubing up to the cooler, and use a short hose to complete the connection. I prefer tubing because it sheds heat better than hose.

A/C condensor.....
Bad idea. Too big. You'd never get it up to temp, which is just as bad as overheating, as far as longevity goes. Heater cores make good coolers, though. You can find late model OEM take-offs, and they'll have threaded fittings. I have one on the '95 I'm parting out, if you need one. I could even throw in the tubing......... As a matter of fact.....I also have a new HD built 4L60E attached to it...... It's all listed in the Classified Ads (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=23978) forum.

HH
05-21-2007, 07:42
I used a Hayden Cooler (http://www.haydenauto.com/products/transmission-and-engine-oil-coolers.htm), The Swirl Cool Model. I got mine through Peninsular Engine. I had high pressure hydraulic hoses made at the local auto parts store.